Newbie questions

GoldenMotor.com

proneto911

Oct 8, 2014
NW Burbs of Chicago
Well finally got the 66cc kit today from Fedex (which reminds me need to leave feedback on ebay for it). 5 hours later and it works great except for i dint know till about 30 min ago not to put in 16:1 in it or am i wong? If I am going to shell getting Vpower. and if I am what mix should i do? currently way to smoky when standing still.

Also i figured out what the button was for but im curious on what the brass screw is? i found out that it might be the idol screw but i have screwed it in all the way and out does practically nothing. what am i listening for? new to this and any advice is helpful. thanks

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

There's lots of opinions on the 'correct' amount of oil to use in the break-in process. The only consensus is that 16:1 is too much oil. Some recommend 24:1, some 32:1, and some recommend up to 100:1 (Opti-2 only!!!!!!!). There are many threads to peruse through to gather info. Then, you've got to decide what's right for you. Do try to stick with 100% gasoline......ethanol blends can do 'funny' things to almost any small engine.

Best of luck in beginning what should be a very enjoyable hobby!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
thanks :) i might just empty this tank and go up to the 32:1 to break it in then to 50:1
Before going to a 50:1 mix make sure the oil you plan to use is formulated for that ratio. Some are, some aren't. Read the label. Most quality 2 stroke oils will be safe at 32:1.

As for the "brass screw", it would help if we knew what carburetor you have. There are idle speed screws but they require a small spring under the head to keep them from vibrating out. A photo of the carburetor and the screw would help us offer more information.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

proneto911

Oct 8, 2014
NW Burbs of Chicago
I just got back from a short drive and noticed that i have a decent amount of oil coming from what looks like the spark plug area. just wondering if this is normal?

as for the brass screw and had to solder a little nugget on the intake had a hole in it from the box might sand it down and stuff take off the carb and clean it out and silicone it of if anyone else has a suggestion it would also be appreciated

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The photo you posted doesn't show the plug. It does show what looks like an oily spot on the intake manifold. I don't know what that is but if your idle is good, not too high, then it probably isn't a bad weld on the manifold.

Some kit instructions will tell you to "finger tighten" the spark plug. That is wrong. It needs to be tight. About 60 to 80 inch pounds is about right. There have been reports of defective threads in the cylinder head. Check those too.

The cylinder head also needs to be torqued down. 120 to 140 inch pounds will be good. Some go as high as 150. That's pushing the limits. We also suggest lapping the cylinder head on the gasket sealing surface to get a good seal.

We always suggest to new builders to get rid of that small spring you have on the clutch cable between the adjuster and the clutch arm on the engine. It serves no purpose but it will make your clutch harder to operate. Leave the big one. It is a heat shield to protect the cable from engine heat.

Tom

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
This is not a 'pitch' for which type of oil to run. However, it is safe for 50:1 as this is the recommended oil for Echo weed whackers. My 9 year old Echo still runs as good today as when I bought it.........bike runs good also!

Attachments