This new CVT design is interesting....

GoldenMotor.com

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Wow!
It took a minute for me to wrap my brain around that concept. :)

It would seem to me that the pillow-blocks that the planetary Gears slide on are the weakest link of the power transfer components. Of course, its a proof of concept model, so that can be addressed.
Its nice to see a CVT that isnt using friction surfaces to transmit power.

Brilliant!

Last edited:

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
I agree about the design,,,,,,,,a lot of thought here. I would get one in a minute if it will hold an engine but then a human down stroke has a lot of power. Going to watch this.. gphil

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
had difficulty telling from the vid, but seemed that the total range of output ratios was pretty limited - didn't see that info on the site either

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Yes, limited ratio range on that working model, but that is a function of how large the outer white gear is. The larger it is, the more the output shaft can travel between center to fullly extended, which will increase the ratio differential.

I think.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I could see this one becoming a reality once it's made with the right materials and placed inside a case. The design proof model does have a rather narrow ratio range but either using a larger ring gear, smaller planetary gears, or by stacking multiple units would all work in favor of a wider range.. another factor that's not mentioned in the videos or info is how well does this all stay in balance as rpm increases? it seems like as the gears are offset the balance could be shifted unless 2 of these were stacked and set up 180 degrees away from eachother or a counterweight that can move in and outboard from the center would need to be used. It's definitely a good idea and with a little refining I could see it working