How do I make a new bucking bar

GoldenMotor.com

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
So my bike eventually started! I have ridden a lot on it! It had some problems so I had to re mount and must have lost the bucking bar. Does anyone know how to make a new one?
I have a 80 cc motor bike
I live in Athens/watkinsville Georgia

Am 15 with a learners permit
I enjoy making stuff like this
can I legally drive around? (have been doing)
Thanks!

.duh.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Not sure what a bucking bar is. Google says it's the block you put behind a rivet to set it.

And most places require you to have a license of some sort, so check your laws. An easy internet search will tell you all you need to know. Also, make sure your ride is legal. SC law here says I have to have working brake lights when either brake light is depressed, a head light, tail light, and functional turn signals. Also have to have a rear view mirror, can't go over 25 mph, no more than 2 horses, and can't physically make the moped go over 30 on a flat surface.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The bucking bar length is critical. That's the problem with making a new one without your original for comparison.
As for making one; if you have a way to cut it, a 5/16" or an 8mm drill bit works well. The ends need to be slightly rounded and smooth. You can use softer steel but it will wear faster. The shank of a drill bit is best but you could also use a hardened bolt, grade 8 works well too.

I don't have an exact length to offer you right now but something close to an inch and a quarter will get you in the ball park.
If you lost the bucking bar you might have also lost the ball bearing that goes in before it. It too is 5/16" or 8mm. Both parts and the cam in the clutch actuator cover need to be lubricated with a good grade of bearing grease prior to reassembly.

Tom

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
I cut a bolt that was 5/16 to 1" popped it in there with some lube and It worked! thanks everyone 2door and wingnut!
I would upload a pic of the cut bolt but I cant figure it out. my pictures are too big?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
To post pictures from your phone you need to download a photo editor app, resized pictures to 1024x768 pixels will upload from my phone. After resizing the photo save it to your pictures.

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I cut a bolt that was 5/16 to 1" popped it in there with some lube and It worked! thanks everyone 2door and wingnut!
I would upload a pic of the cut bolt but I cant figure it out. my pictures are too big?
to quickly rsize images I go to the picture right click it open with paint then I go to tools then attribudes and enter the proper value required for what ever application calls for or you can just use http://imgur.com/ they should do it automaticly