Why build a motorbike???

GoldenMotor.com

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Just like it says on the tin, why did you build your motorbike? Pleasure only, commuting to work, short distance errand running, etc.

Also, is it build to ride, or ride to build?

Maybe this should be a poll? Dunno how to do that.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Mine's going to be a toy to mess about on, mostly, but also there's a degree of anarchic rejection of Bigger Faster More in the world.

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego
I built mine because 1. I have an unnatural love for anything with an engine. 2. I love tinkering and modifying things with engines for both speed and looks. 3. Sometimes I ride it to work and other errands around town.

BikeBerryJen

Engine Diva
Oct 25, 2012
SoCal
I built mine because 1. I have an unnatural love for anything with an engine. 2. I love tinkering and modifying things with engines for both speed and looks. 3. Sometimes I ride it to work and other errands around town.
Modifications: this is the main reason I think motorized bicycles are cool! There's so much you can do to them and it's still affordable. Whether you're powder coating or upgrading your muffler, there's always something that can be done to improve your bike.

daxtitg

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego
Modifications: this is the main reason I think motorized bicycles are cool! There's so much you can do to them and it's still affordable. Whether you're powder coating or upgrading your muffler, there's always something that can be done to improve your bike.

daxtitg

Exactly, the possibilities are basically endless

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i want to take my time getting some where, but i want to get there faster than just biking alone, and i want to look good doing it. True reason tho, is once you get your bike dialed in, they can be reliable, and its affordable, my bike paid for its self this summer, over a thousand into the build, but i spend 10 bucks a month on gas and oil for oil changes.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
around here,i need to drive to get anywhere in a decent amount of time,biking is ok,but a little slow.
when i tripped over a motorized bike kit i couldnt resist.
as a mechanic/home machinist i thought this would be something i could manage with minimal investment.
well after a few rides on my new toy i was sold.not to mention it can be moved without a towtruck when its not running.
i ride it after work to wind down from a stressful day.

cheap on gas,easy to work on and thousands of people here on this forum that share a common interest.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I find it very satisfying riding a bike I made with my own hands. I get to decide how it looks. What parts are used. How much performance I want it to have.

When I ride in public, the reaction my bike gets from people is very positive. My bikes are well crafted enough that most people assume they're store bought. Their jaws usually drop to the ground when I tell them "I made this".

I've been riding all my life, but these motor bicycles overall, are the most fun of any bikes I've owned.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
whether i build or ride, it gives me that indescribable feeling of satisfaction, fulfillment, and happiness... what more can i say? (i hope my wife doesn't read this...)

even when it rattles my bones... even when it gives me troubles and problems... even when other people say it's crazy... coz that's the challenge...

and it keeps me from going insane... if not yet already...

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
It's been very practical for me. Some tinkering, which i'm getting more soft on in my older days -58- it tends to stress me and leave me with aches and pains- but it's been fun and interesting- and since I was an old racing cyclist and bike shop mechanic, familiar and interesting for me to see what kind of fusion I could put together- both ridable and as a motor. But I also had a mini bike as a kid, once wanted to race enduro go carts before graduating to F-1.

I got into it just after being in a flood and losing most of my stuff and having to find emegency accomodations, so since I have limited income, I've saved a lot on gas here in Jacksonville where I can now ride year round. I still prefer to pedal when I can, but some health problems limit that, while I can still motor AND pedal a bit on the MB, and do light errands and shopping just as fast as in the car.

And all under 50lbs. When I was living in the apartment, I was pushing the bikes up a flight of stairs.
30 mph, under 50 lbs, and for a very small investment- You can shut the motor off and still easily pedal
can't beat that!

I'm using less than a quarter tank of wat in the old Ford a month....

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The speed thing is pertinent to me as well. I could go as fast as a bus in most towns, without waiting for one or finding out it's broken down or just been cancelled.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I'm building mine because where I live the fastest speed limit is 45 (35 on the way to work) there is no hills to and from work, and it will save a bunch of money on gas not having to drive my turbocharged car running 91 octane every day.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Why not? Ya got sumthin better else to do? Build it, ride it and you can even race it......that's why. Why ask why? Drink bud dry? I'd rather die, or eat pecan pie. Why, why why :D

dnut

Just like it says on the tin, why did you build your motorbike? Pleasure only, commuting to work, short distance errand running, etc.

Also, is it build to ride, or ride to build?

Maybe this should be a poll? Dunno how to do that.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i built mine because i am a big kid. always loved bicycles. i don't have the strength i used to have to pedal any distance. plus it really feels good to ride something you put together and customized to your taste. for me my bikes are the fountain of youth

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
When I built my first bike, it was to be primarily a cheap means of transportation. I did not realize at the time how much fun I would have riding it, or how much I would come to enjoy working on it. I quickly learned how enjoyable it was to ride, and in that aspect it became habit forming very quickly. I did not come to enjoy working on it quite as quickly, because I had no mechanical experience when I started, and did not know that these forums existed. It took me almost 4 months to get my first bike to the point where it would stay on the road, and I found that process to be very frustrating. At the end of that process, I finally began to see how capable I had become, and it was at that point that I began to enjoy working on it much more. My current philosophy is build to ride, because every component that I add to my bike enhances my ability to ride and enjoy my bike. I have finally built a bike that is meant to handle some rough riding, but also looks stylish and is comfortable and enjoyable to ride. I have also become much more mechanically skilled since building my second bike, and have now been able to install performance parts for the engine as well as some higher quality bicycle components. l I have in fact replaced every component of the bicycle itself, and I'm very happy with the components I have chosen to replace the stock components. My bike is nearly fully complete now. I am just waiting on some components that I have ordered for my lighting system. Once I install those, I'm done building on this beast for a good little while.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
They were a pleasant diversion from a crushing depression.

I'm done now and going to sell off most of them.

Gonna keep 1 electric and the Solex.

Mostly, I would rather ride the scooter, but the bikes are better for riding to closed street events and nite rides in the summertime.

The Solex is just too cool to dump, the Dawes absolutely rocks, but the OP Roller with the happytime, the Mango with the Staton and the electric Revive are on the block.

Got too many motorbikes.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I built mine because I love to build. I have a classic Vespa scooter, plus a 168 horsepower R1. But, my favorite is my motorized build. I think the feeling of saying I built that is pretty awesome. Plus the looks I get as I ride down the street, people thumbs up, and asking me questions that I know I can answer because I personally built it, is an awesome feeling...