if I tighten the chain enough do I need a chain tensioner??

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You'll want 1/2 to 3/4 " of slack in your chain.

Measure the slack by leaving the clutch engaged and rolling the bike slowly forward until the piston is against a compression stroke. The top chain run should be slack at that point and that's where you need the 1/2 to 3/4" of slack. A too tight or too loose chain will cause you problems. Also make sure the chain alignment is as close to perfect as you can get it between the drive and driven sprockets.
Many of us run without a chain tensioner.

Good luck.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
My kit came with a tensioner but it caused a lot of noise and drag, so I eliminated it and never looked back. I love the way she rides without the tensioner, way smoother than with it. That said, a couple people tried to rain on my parade telling me I am gonna need to be able to adjust the chain tension as it wears. I am running #41 chain and after 1,200 miles the tension is still perfect... So I say go for it, as long as it doesn't interfere anywhere you're good to go. That said, the kit chains are usually total crap so I would expect that a kit chain might loosen up on you eventually, do yourself a favor and get some #41 chain and run that instead....