Proper chain breaker?

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
they come with 2 pins. if you have a grinder (or a file and some time) you can grind one pin down to fit a bike chain.

i have one of those because i run a #41 motorsickle-type chain with a bigger pin. it's a great, cheap, chain breaker.

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
I have that exact same chain breaker, It works like a charm, if the pin is too big go with what baird say, grind it a lil, it shouldn't weaken the pin and the difference is not that big.

Have fun
JD

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Extracting punch size: 1-1/8" L x 1/8" diameter.

On 415 chain you're like, 1/64" (if even that) smaller than 1/8", so it'll be a VERY tight fit. What you can do is file it to a point, so it doesn't have a flat cylindrical top, then it won't slip off and it will guide itself through and not bite on the rim of the link. You've got LOTS of space, so the links will fit. Looks like a good one.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I have the Harbor Freight chain breaker, but I also have this type:

chain breaker.jpg

I use this one more often than the HFT one because the T-handle on it doesn't require me to pick up a wrench to turn the arbor, it's one less tool I have to fumble with while holding the chain, holding the tool, trying to turn it, ect., all while the chain is on the bike.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

This is the style I use, but the pin is too big to fully punch 415. But, once it taps rivet 1/5" I can use my bicycle style to punch it the rest of the way. I love the style of it though, so comfortable, and the bar is like 6" long, so it's like butter to get through those rivets.

homejones

Jul 4, 2011
Lostville
I just got this today. Took me 5 miuntes to grind the pin with my Dremel. It works perfect on my 415 chain. Everyone should get one of these.

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
i just bought a 3 nail set pack from home depot, and i was hoping my little grinding wheel drill attachment will work. it spins off axis a little but it was good enough for grinding away aluminum on my top hat sprocket adapter.