Ernst from Turllock Ca

GoldenMotor.com

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
As some of you may have read the stinger on my Sick Bike Parts expansion chamber has failed and the end cap has broke off and is on the highway somewhere.

The Silver end is the Stinger

This had me looking for a replacement component since the result of the loss of the stinger has been an increase in miles per hour but also the engine has heated up significantly. Heat is a bad thing.

I have taken advice from SteamPunk and purchased a muffler from Tractor Supply. It is a relatively inexpensive item considering the cost of MaB parts ( about $4 ) and I welded it to the SBP expansion after cutting off the nipple that extended into the "stinger" which is a very cheap and temporary end to a nice and expensive unit. That Stinger fails to be quality.

I expect when it comes time to replace this muffler that i will take time to find a mounting hardware to weld on for it's replacement to screw into and weld that on so I can screw in the muffler rather than weld it to the expansion unit.. But, at this point it was the simple solution.

Google search term " muffler briggs stratton 89966 -444080" is the google search term I used and as we see the price varies from $4 to $14 depending on the retailer.

At this time with less than 5 miles on this muffler I like it very much. In fact it seems to aid my engine with not only quieter operation but more low end power. I have been expecting to have power when I was at about 8 mph with the stinger and without anything but, I found tonight that at 6 mph the engine has power like at 8 mph before adding this muffler.. Interesting thing..
Perhaps this will change as the muffler gets oily.. Who knows..

I can post pictures but it will be of a simple hack.. I will start to plan for a permanent "screw in" mount for this muffler.. So that I can replace as needed.. At $4 I think it can be replaced as often as I see fit..

So another "upgrade" has happened... And it continues.
I bet more than likely you could have shipped your pipe to SBP and they would have fixed it. Atleast thats what a good company should do. If you can prove that it wasnt user error you should be able to get some help from Jim hes good.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Oh boy, that muffler wasn't very tough at all.

The welding held up fine but the actual muffler came off on the way home..

I do have the "muffler nipple" still welded to the SBP expansion so it is possible I can run a flexi hose and secure the muffler more gently.

I have to admit it's a rough run for a couple miles on the way home that it isn't on the way there. The road is rather rutted on the way back for a stretch. Oh well.. I'll have to see if I can find another muffler.. Tractor Supply had one on the wall and I bought it.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
I bet more than likely you could have shipped your pipe to SBP and they would have fixed it. At least that's what a good company should do. If you can prove that it wasnt user error you should be able to get some help from Jim he is good.
Hey no complaints here. I am pointing out that 25 miles a day @ 30 mph or so on rough rutted roads will beat the carp out of everything... That stinger is not heavy duty attached. It's just that simple.. And I re-riveted it!!!

As for function it functioned well until that faithful day when.....

So it's just what it is and not a scene in a new drama play...

On to the fix..

Okay the muffler was the 1/2 inch muffler and obviously their TIG welding sux because I still have the nipple but not the muffler..
Tractor supply didn't have another 1/2 inch muffler and I happen to have bought the 3/4 inch flexi pipe at the hardware store.. SOOOOOO... I bought the 3/4 inch large muffler and will cut off that left over 1/2 inch "nipple" tomorrow when I have two hours of day light after work.
I have a 3/4 inch black iron nipple and all should be well enough.

I will wire things on the frame with some safety wire to start with and if I am satisfied I will look to buying some clamping or other mount.

I need to say that the SBP expansion is still killer just that without the stinger it is now killer loud.. LOL

Okay then.. Pictures tomorrow and hopefully an easy and quick fit up and weld..

:) Keep on riding!

Oh BTW is it just me and the latest Mozilla or is everyone seeing the Smilies tweeking out and blinking out and on.

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Okay friends.. I have a day off..

I intend to mount a 3/4 inch nipple and use a flexi line to remotely mount a large muffler tomorrow.

I hope to shoot it and post what i do.. I am not sure what will result but I have the 24 inch flexi and that is more than I need actually.

So hey.. Lets see what I can do...

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Hey Friends.. I see many new folks saying hi in this forum.. Welcome y'all.

If any of you think working on your own bike is too hard think again. The only hard thing is the learning curve but it gets easier as we accumulate experience and confidence.

My Update:

My 7 day a week job is over for the season. I now have time to "Depot" the bike and make modifications that require ( and demand ) a relaxed day where I take my time to enjoy a little quality time with my Bike.

I have named my Bike and look forward to a name plate. The name is "The Independent."

Lets see, the mods on the list are the Bicygnals mod that is still here on the desk and needs to get finished.
After that there is the mud guards mod and the front rack mod ( the bike can stand a little more front wheel weight and a permanent tool kit rather than my backpack )

I just ordered a replacement throttle and a kill switch from Sick Bike Parts so that (broken) OEM throttle from the kit I originally bought has broken, it is not allowing the carb to relax and idle right. The internal "hook" where the cable used to link is torn and the cable "hangs" up enough to allow me to ride.

Now that I have a couple weeks of time and I am revitalized with a schedule mentality I hope to apply some of this "effort" I make for others for pay to my own life.

After I get these things on and clean the bike I want to take pictures and post.
The 21 speed hardware is also not needed any more so that can come off amd clean up the handle bars.

Lets see, also I have two blue LED's to mount so that as I ride the engine area is lit blue.

I have red in the wheels from the "SpokeLit" red light so Blue on the engine will look cool.

Well there is Beer in the fridge and tunes on the radio so i have a mandate to do some quality Motor assisted Bicycle maintenance.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Do you think the blue LEDs over the engine will qualify? LOL

I was looking at green Spokelits for the back wheel. Maybe adding green will change perceptions but one thing is true we can light up out night riding as we like.
Well all most.

BTW here is a link to Police Bicycle lights Police Bike Lights : Police Bicycle Store

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Hey Everyone!

I have had a bummer experience with my Carb. I believe I want to get a better carb.

I am reading the Dellorto Carb for China Bike Motor from Pirate is a good one.

Now on that site it says 14:12 and in the fine print below the main large text it suggests if one has an expansion to jet up and if one has a 15:15 jet down.

What is jetting up? I see a 5mm and a 6mm advertised.

It's been a bad day. The cable came out of the new throttle cable by pulling the wire out of the lead. Bad Crimp I guess.
I also feel like I want a better carb than a $20 one (ebay NT type)

So Two Questions: 1.) will a 14:12 run well with an expansion? I may want to get rolling soon but I could change jets with some guidance.

Anyway I can stand some feedback before I spend that much money.
Dellorto Carb for China Bike Motor

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
May sound dumb but what kind of throttle cable is right for that Dellorto Carb.

The cable supplied with this new throttle from Sick
Well it pulled out of the lead end and I had other issues making the other style work.

I am searching for the answer and I may have to call someone. Any help will help :)

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
You are right! I'll look into getting an end for it.

On this note I have an Update.

Once I took the NT apart to install the new cable I just didn't like the carb. I ordered the Dellorto Carb from Pirate. I'm not sure what cable i will need now but I have down time so I can take time to remove the old 21 speed stuff and clean the bike right too.

Thanks again GearNut

Update: I have decided to upgrade my Carb and am still working on the Throttle I got from Sick.

I have downtime after riding over 2100 miles to work my last job.

My frame miles are about 2900 now so it's looking good and I keep modifying and upgrading.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Don't look for a new end for it. With Norm's method you will be making a new end for it.
As Norm shows, some silver bearing solder, a propane torch and some telephone wire or similar small gauge solid core (definitely not stranded core) wire are all that you need.
Edit: I used leftover solid core wire that came with my garage door opener. The wire is used for connecting the opener button, safety beam and remote control electronic box.

I found a silver bearing solder "kit" at Home Depot that had a roll of solder and a tube of flux. It was in the tool section. I think it cost around $10. Not a bad price when you can make 50 or so cables with it as well as who knows what. Silver bearing solder is much stronger than tin/ lead electrical solder.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Oh, I have the other end that has come off.

I will wait until the Dellorto to see where I am.

Thanks tho.. It will be here maybe Friday, Saturday or Monday I hope.

As for the end that slides into the throttle I am thinking a modified roll pin, coper wire and silver solder will be an option.

I have the torch so all I need is the silver solder and a proper size roll pin.

I will see about a video but at least a series of photos to share here.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
I picked up some silver bearing solder, new drill bits and some 1/4 inch all thread.

This should provide me with a proper "pin" on the throttle once I find some solid copper wire to wrap with.

I'll shoot some pictures and I want to post my Carb swap out in a thread.

The package went to a sorting station for USPS places the package in Massachusetts this morning..

Exciting actually. I have never been satisfied with my throttle. I hope this new Dellorto will be more enjoyable.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
I have really enjoyed reading about your experiences, Ernst. Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated!

Tim
Thanks Tim. There is the good and the bad, the smart and the silly but it's for a good cause. Others can see what problems others have had and see what they did.

I didn't plan to upgrade the carb but hey I have the time and I like to keep improving my ride.

I still need to tackle rebuilding a motor and that may well round out a basic education on MaBs

Again thanks.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Today i am working on installing this new Dellorto Carb.

In fact I will start a thread in the proper forum and will link to that so others interested in carbs can see what i went through learning how to change out a carb, adjust a cable correctly and hopefully do any adjusting required.
All this with a little help from my MaB Friends naturally.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
I have more depot work to do but the throttle and carb are working.

Here is the thread http://motorbicycling.com/f51/dellorto-14-12-my-first-carb-34889.html

I have to re-loctite the screws on the engine mount or do something different with "something different" working it's way forward. I'm thinking of adding some hard rubber. You have to see my chosen mount style to understand but I can shoot some pictures and post.

So I still have some maintenance to get done but hey, this bike, just rode 2000 miles in 70 days or so.
Not bad.

On the chart of mods are the mud flaps, the front rack and possibly a spring loaded tensioner mod.
I could move the set forward and tack weld since this seat mount and this seat are not a perfect match.

Also not forgotten is the bicygnals mod in limbo. That keeps getting pushed back.

I'm trying to find a place for the new AirZone bottle. Hey that Air Horn uses plastic pop bottles for the air tank!
I am trying to mount a 1.5L as my air tank now.

Yeah so it was over 2000 miles total and day after day. I rode to Bronco Winery for grape crush.
All in all it was an adventure. I rode by the clear of the morn and the full moon for a few days. I also had two major failures. One was the Magneto went and the other I forgot to fill the tank that day.
Lucky I got rides for me and the bike each time.

I'm cleaning and re-doing things. I hope to have some nice shots after this "depot maintenance" I am doing.

So if you like check out the link on the Dellorto carb. So far do good but check again later to see how I like it after a good long ride which is coming soon.