noob question

GoldenMotor.com

chipper

Oct 22, 2011
Cali
got a new kit and its my first.. do you need a gasket for where the carb connects to the engine and if so would it perhaps be a metal ring that fits perfect or the very thin material based one that is smaller and has room and movement when placed inside? i have 2 options and a little confused...2nd is my fuel filter was cracked to say the least, can i grab a new similar one that is slightly larger from napa auto parts or do i need the exact one for the motor that was sent in the kit? thanks

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
I just built my first kit, and do you mean where the carb connects to the intake manifold? I have seen rings, like O rings, but I am not running a gasket at all. Whatever it is you don't want it to be sucked into the engine.
What kit did you get?
Yes, you should be able to grab any fuel filter that fits your fuel line.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
got a new kit and its my first.. do you need a gasket for where the carb connects to the engine and if so would it perhaps be a metal ring that fits perfect or the very thin material based one that is smaller and has room and movement when placed inside? i have 2 options and a little confused...2nd is my fuel filter was cracked to say the least, can i grab a new similar one that is slightly larger from napa auto parts or do i need the exact one for the motor that was sent in the kit? thanks
Gasket between the cylinder and manifold, sealer like Indian Head if needed.
"O" ring in the carburetor throat... NAPA has a assortment.
Fuel filter... and Auto Zone has a nice replacement and more streamlined.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I just built my first kit, and do you mean where the carb connects to the intake manifold? I have seen rings, like O rings, but I am not running a gasket at all. Whatever it is you don't want it to be sucked into the engine.
What kit did you get?
Yes, you should be able to grab any fuel filter that fits your fuel line.
I found a decent one at Home Depot over in the weed whacker section .A see through filter so i can see the junk I'm getting for my hard earned "Taxed To Death" $dollar

One other thing, make sure you pay attention to the direction , there should be an arrow look closely
P.S. Leadfarmer I don't know how you are getting away with no gasket and not sucking air how does your machine run Idle and good acceleration ? Here is my HD filter

Attachments

Last edited:

chipper

Oct 22, 2011
Cali
so here are the option i was given well at least i think they are options and yes they are "0" rings/gaskets maybe using wrong terminology. So the gasket would be in the throat of the carb and then connect to the stem of the manifold and sealed with a clamp on the outside. Please inform if either of these 2 actually are the gasket. the metal one fits perfect while the red one is smaller and possibly could get sucked down, i just didnt know if they even make metal gaskets/0 rings. thanks

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
so here are the option i was given well at least i think they are options and yes they are "0" rings/gaskets maybe using wrong terminology. So the gasket would be in the throat of the carb and then connect to the stem of the manifold and sealed with a clamp on the outside. Please inform if either of these 2 actually are the gasket. the metal one fits perfect while the red one is smaller and possibly could get sucked down, i just didnt know if they even make metal gaskets/0 rings. thanks
Paper gasket between the cylinder and manifold, no need for metal.
"O" RING (gas resistant rubber) inside the carburetor throat and the intake manifold pushes on it.

"O" ring
OD.... .75"
ID..... .50"
Thick .10"

Last edited:

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
I found a decent one at Home Depot over in the weed whacker section .A see through filter so i can see the junk I'm getting for my hard earned "Taxed To Death" $dollar

One other thing, make sure you pay attention to the direction , there should be an arrow look closely
P.S. Leadfarmer I don't know how you are getting away with no gasket and not sucking air how does your machine run Idle and good acceleration ? Here is my HD filter
It seems to run fine, but it is my first build so I have nothing to compare it to. If it will run better with an O ring I will get one. How do I find a fuel resistant one?