Seeking Tiny Removable Gas Tanks

GoldenMotor.com

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Does anyone have any experience with alternative fuel tanks?

I'm looking to mount a quickly detachable/installable 16 oz (about 0.5L) cell, that can travel with me (must be airtight when in storage, and ventable while mounted).

I've seen the hobby airplane fuel tanks, and was thinking that something like those would work.

Unfortunately, my bike is drawing a tremendous amount of unwanted attention from people when I have it locked-up on a rack. I even saw one "nosey" fan/spectator open my gas tank and play-around with it. (Isn't it just common-sense that the bike is not public property?) It's like some people have never seen a moped before, AND they feel that they are entitled to examine with their hands.

Also, it doesn't make any sense to haul-around 75 miles worth of fuel at a time, if I'm only doing 15 mile round trips. 0.5 to 0.75 L (16oz to 32 oz) should do it. The 50 cent gas fill-ups at the gas station would be interesting, too.

Any ideas?

VaporKing
150 Miles/Gallon

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A 16-20 oz model tank would be ideal. They make the fittings and hose for gas planes, just make sure you get that one, not the tank set up for nitro fuel.

Take off the tank (secure it with a couple velcro strips) and loop the fuel line to the vent- sealed.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I don't have an answer to your question, but I agree that it's messed up that people mess with stuff like that. The other day I was leaving walmart when I saw this couple standing near a really nice chopper. They were taking pictures of it, and then the wife just hops on it and the husband takes a pic of her on the bike. Then they got up and walked off. I really don't think it was their bike. People suck :(

Anyway, I saw someone on here that had a locking gas cap. Maybe that would be a good alternative? Also there are motion-alarms you can get for your bike. Would go off if someone moved it. Might be a good deterrent as well.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Why do you think "Bikers" look so surly and bad? It's to scare off the pinheads whom may otherwise fondle their machinery.

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Having one of these (bikes) is a curse, in some respects.

Wherever I go, people always ask me where they can get one. If liability issues weren't such an issue in my state, I would be able to sell at least one bike a week (without exageration). Also, I would PERSONALLY have ethical concerns about selling to someone who could turn-out to get injured with the wares. Some of the people that approach me seem to be clumsy, and I would have problems sleeping at night worrying about them.

My gripe is that I need to budget at least an additional 10-20 minutes per trip to fight-off groupies. This is a serious problem.

Back to the point: Is the stock gas cap a standard size for a locking gas cap?

Thanks for the help.

VaporKing
150 Miles/Gallon

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The hard part about having a sealed tank is the tank needs to be vented or it won't allow the fuel to flow into the carb after a few miles of riding. I mounted my tank in front the front of my bike and it works great and is completely out of the way. Another option is to carry a 24 or 32 oz. MSD can with you on your long trips.
I know what you mean about these bikes being a curse. Last week, some guy actually jumped out into the street and I almost plowed into him at 25mph. Of course I got the "Just wanted to stop you to see where I can get one?" I'm usually real nice to people and give them one of Dean's cards but this time I actually gave him an ear full...before I gave him a card.:crash:

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That's why i cover my bike with a tarp

I lock the tarp over the bike with three locks that way nobody knows whats underneath! :ride2:

I have always been afraid of some puttting something in the tank Like sugar YIKES :eek:

Last edited:

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
I use a 1 gallon rack mounted tank on one of my bikes. I once parked it with a full tank only to return at the end of the day to find it empty (I had to pedal home). If there are people desperate enough to steal gas from a 1 gallon container, it doesn't surprise me that people would tamper with parked bikes. Covering your bike is a good idea, plus it will help keep your bike looking like new. My bikes' paint and chrome have suffered from being parked outside all the time.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I use a 1 gallon rack mounted tank on one of my bikes. I once parked it with a full tank only to return at the end of the day to find it empty (I had to pedal home).
Oi. People suck.

I'm definitely going to look into that locking gas cap thing, or eventually put my rack-mount 1gal tank/lockable storage plan into action.