Trying to find threads from last summer...are they saved somewhere?

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm trying to find some photos I posted toward the end of last summer, since I no longer have them myself due to a fire. Are posts archived that far back? I tried going back and didn't get very far. I also tried going back through my own posts to a year ago, but they don't go back that far. Somehow I thought everything here was saved.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
SB,
Were the photos in threads you started or just posts that you made? I'll take a look for you if you recall anything about the threads...name, approx. month...
Tom

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
SB,
Were the photos in threads you started or just posts that you made? I'll take a look for you if you recall anything about the threads...name, approx. month...
Tom
In a thread I started, but don't recall the title for. (I can't even remember my cell phone number.) It could have been as early as mid July of last year, but probably August with less chance of early September. I think August. I appreciate your taking a look, Tom. The subject of the thread was a bike I found at the dump which turned out to be a 1950 Schwinn straight bar, which I thought was a DX due to the remaining paint. Whatever it was, it shared the same frame with Panther, Motorbike, Hornet and other great classic cruisers pre war. I'm entering the bike in the four stroke build off and had hoped to show how it looked when I found it, stripping and painting it, rebuilding the original seat, giving it new wheels and fenders. I have photos from this summer.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Wonderful! Thank you for finding that. I just made it big again by doing a screen shot, running it through Picasa to crop out the other stuff in the screen capture and now I have my picture again. I'll stick it into my build thread on the four stroke build off.
So the old stuff is archived. Is there a way for the average unpowerful schmoe little guy forum member to access these old files on his own without putting you guys to unnecessary work? I feel like I sent you into the basement to search through cardboard boxes for my picture and don't want to send you off into the dusty archives when you have other things to keep you busy, like dealing with those pesky spammers. It is a comfort to know the old files are stored somewhere.
You moderators are the best. We are so fortunate you guys are willing to volunteer your time, energy and expertise to keep this great forum top notch. Thanks!
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
:oops:

All I did was type a few choice keywords in our custom google search (silverbear 1950 Schwinn straight bar DX) and it was one of the first returns :D

There's also the "Find all posts by & Find all threads started by" options on any member's profile page... tho that can lead ya to some far off places and tangents - to the point I often ferget what I was lookin' for in the first place lol :p

Oh and BTW, our "basement archives" are an ossum place w/many a forgotten treasure, I spend a lot of time wandering around "down" there (^)

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
BTW - as it could be a lil misleading the way it's phrased above - older threads aren't archived (beyond the normal backups done for the entire forum), they're all there & ready to be accessed by anyone, a single post will bring them right back up to the current 'New Posts' - tho it's uncertain if the OP is still around and/or has moved on to other projects ;)

"Bumping" up old threads is actually encouraged if they contain valuable information or interesting projects - there's so much that we often miss some when we reorganize/add new subforums... and often in haste ppl will create a new thread for some of the same problems we've all had & resolved, sometimes some quite extensive and helpful threads get buried and it's a bit of a shame, a quick "Thanks" posted can often breathe new life into 'em so all can benefit :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
skyl4rk,
I believe that when I have tried that it is saved as a thumbnail and I wanted it big like the original was, so if I click on the thumbnail it gets enlarged and then I hit "printscreen" which does a screen capture of whatever is on my computer screen at the time. So that's why I do it this way.
Barely, I just spent some time walking down memory lane from a year ago, reading about finding that bike and saw that I had posted other photos under Silverbear's American Flyer #2... which I then googled and found more build pictures and commentary. Very cool. Thanks.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"cough, sneeze, gasp & wheeze" ...Oh, right, Geoff. You find it, bring it up to Walter and left me down there in that dusty basement with just one bare lightbulb...spiders and creepy crawly things everywhere...:( But, I did find my Bic lighter that I dropped down there last year.
Tom

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
skyl4rk,
I believe that when I have tried that it is saved as a thumbnail and I wanted it big like the original was, so if I click on the thumbnail it gets enlarged and then I hit "printscreen" which does a screen capture of whatever is on my computer screen at the time. So that's why I do it this way.
Barely, I just spent some time walking down memory lane from a year ago, reading about finding that bike and saw that I had posted other photos under Silverbear's American Flyer #2... which I then googled and found more build pictures and commentary. Very cool. Thanks.
SB
Click on the thumbnail to make the picture the original large size,
then right click , save as.....

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"cough, sneeze, gasp & wheeze" ...Oh, right, Geoff. You find it, bring it up to Walter and left me down there in that dusty basement with just one bare lightbulb...spiders and creepy crawly things everywhere...:( But, I did find my Bic lighter that I dropped down there last year.
Tom
Yea Tom... You knew full well I was next to the pile of old Atomic Zombie bikes and yer "cough & wheeze" act would freak me right out o.o

Funny ya didn't mention how I screamed like a gurl and started flailing about with that ol' triple tree fork... it's a good thing you were wearin' a helmet man - some things jus' ain't funny to joke about.

It's a srs problem, ferealz

|.o