hello all new here with a few questions :)

GoldenMotor.com

Jesse002100

May 1, 2010
Parma Ohio
well to start i just ordered two kits from,
motorizedbikeparts stinger kits
are these kits good i looked into them and this one was close to me in MI and i figured shipping would be faster to here then from ca from a ebay seller.
also i have been looking into 2 cycle oils i have read alot of opti2's 100-1 mix and alot have been happy and see a reduce in smoke. my concern is its less oil then the motor needs? if anyone has a opinion the isnt a big cost difference i have it locally at true value for about 6$

so basically is opti2 safe have benifits or stick with a regular 32.1 mix?

*** the most important question SAFETY ***
i have a Schwinn Legacy and it only has coaster breaks and i looked into alot options about brakes i would like to maybe put a mountain bike front end on it with a disc break and upgrade the rims. im new to this i believe i am going to have to remove the coaster break with this kit??? and lastly any ideas on what kind of forks to go with?
thanks for taking the time to read this,
Jesse

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
For starters Welcome to the world of MotorBicycling It is a fun and very exciting Hobby. You will meet many more experienced than I with much more to offer. I think you won't have any problems with the motors you have purchased as long as you don't try to make them do something they aren't designed to. As far as the braking issue You can get away with the coaster brakes but I would suggest you at least add a front brake, as that does 90 percent of your stopping. You can get a really fair priced set for a 26" wheel from Pistonbikes. You can find some great deals on the net for great prices but you get what you pay for.

<--------------------------------The vendors on this site----------------------------------------->

provide both great products and reasonable prices as well as customer service........... Guys Back me up here please.

At any rate Welcome and have fun.
Now get out there and Ride Safely =)

Motorized Bicycles Gas Bike Engines Gas Powered Bikes Motorized Bicycle Parts

Jesse002100

May 1, 2010
Parma Ohio
thanks for you thoughts i was thinking i would be losing the coaster break with the kit but if not good :)

any thought on the 2 cycle oils? opti2 seems ok i just question a 100.1 mix that works on any 2 cycle motor. i would like less smoke and it has a stabilizer in it as well, i just down want to end up runing a brand new motor on it.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I just got my bike started for the first time this weekend and I am using opti 2 at 100:1. So far so good but too early to tell.

I am running a mountain bike with rim brakes on front and rear. I must say it is barely enough braking power. Anything less would feel unsafe. I think a front disc brake and rear coaster would work well.

Also about the opti 2. I bought it at a store that only sells landscape equip mostly to proffesionals and they said it makes their equip last way longer.

Jesse002100

May 1, 2010
Parma Ohio
alrighty... i guess ill give it a shot its fairly cheap anyways.
and now i just looked at disc breaks and i cant find any to fit my schwinn rim? am i looking in the wrong places? or maybe i need a different rim/forks to be able to use them?
thanks
Jesse

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
If it is a cruiser it won't take a disc brake. You will have to convert the front end if possible to a mountain bike front end. The front hub will have six threaded holes on the left side for a rotor to mount and the fork will have a welded tab on the left fork for a caliper to mount. You will have to find a mountain bike fork that will work on that frame. I think most cruiser frames use a threaded headset. You can find a threaded mountain bike fork or change the headset to a non threaded since most mountain bike forks are non threaded. If you don't know much about this stuff you can take the bike to the bike shop and they will tell you if it is possible.

If you don't want to do all of that and spend that much money you should first look to see if the fork and rim you have now will accept a rim brake. If so that should be ok. Not as good as disc but still pretty good. The fork will have two posts sticking out and the rim will have a flat side wall for the pads to rub against.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I am pretty sure you can use a caliper type brake commonly seen on bmx bikes and road bikes have a similar brake but in a smaller size. I am not for sure but pretty sure you can use the bmx caliper brake on that and the rim looks like it will work with that too.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
There are caliper brakes that are for 26" rims for sale $20.00 on pistonbikes.com here

Motorized Bicycles Gas Bike Engines Gas Powered Bikes Motorized Bicycle Parts

I feel compelled to inform you that the fenders you have on your bike have a tendency of rattling and breaking, Not the fenders but the mounts. there is a thread in this forum somewhere that explains both the danger and possible fixes of this problem.

Not trying to scare you just wanted to let you know before you get a nasty surprise. Another thing you want to keep an eye on is your cheap Chinese stock studs. These have a tendency of rattling loose or breaking off Sick Bike Parts sells replacement American steel parts for decent cost $9.95 here.....

Sick Bike Parts

No I'm not a salesman, just a dedicated member to MB's and safety.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I use Opti-2 and am happy with it at 100-1. A BMX caliper brake will work nicely with that. If you can find one off a donor, do that and use good pads. If you have to buy it bikeworldusa has them. Not all coaster brakes are the same. Does it feel like your brake does a pretty good job? If so, that with a caliper brake is adequate unless your going as fast as possible . I'm not saying it is as good as drum brakes or disc brakes, but on a budget it is way better than just the coaster brake alone. Yes, you can use the kits on coaster brake wheel. All of my bikes have been cruisers with coaster brakes. If you have trouble with your install, feel free to ask questions here.
SB

Jesse002100

May 1, 2010
Parma Ohio
thanks for all the help so far, once i get the kits i will post up pictures of it and probably a video or two... if i have any problems ill come back sooner. i plan on ordering the engine hardware kit and the front brakes and probably a little speedo.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Once again I feel compelled to inform you that the fenders you have on your bike have a tendency of rattling and breaking, Not the fenders but the mounts. there is a thread in this forum somewhere that explains both the danger and possible fixes of this problem.

I can't remember the thread title but please research the topic as I have seen one of those fold on the rear wheel at speed and it put the guy in the hospital...thankfully not the morgue.

Please for all of our benefit and your safety do the research.

Jesse002100

May 1, 2010
Parma Ohio
here is my first attempt it runs fine and its some fun so far.

im thinking of doing a chopper bicycle i think it would look awsome.
i still have some wires zip tied but i got it together and started off
it rubs the tire some as pictured im going to go get a 1.75 instead of the 2.25 it has on it and that will solve it. then some front brakes.
i got up to 32 with my friend following me

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Be careful that repeated motor torquing does not start to wash out your hole on the down tube. That is a nice simple build.

Jesse002100

May 1, 2010
Parma Ohio
thanks ill keep an eye on it... i didnt want to have to drill the frame but i had to. i replaced the tires with some bell ultimate street tires 26x1.75 and it has alot more clearance as well i put on a led headlight, brake flasher and bar end mirror. im pretty happy for my first build it's getting me from a to b :)