Don't Leave Your Bike Out In The Rain...

GoldenMotor.com

The 26incher

Dec 19, 2009
Pepeekeo, HI
So last night I left my bike out and it rained. I went out to ride it today and the clutch wouldn't engage? It was running great when I parked it yesterday so I thought maybe the cable needed adjustment. After that didn't work I pulled the large side cover off and a grip of water came out! I don't know how the water got into the engine but once I drained it the clutch worked great. I do have an after-market air filter on it, so I guess the water came in threw it? Maybe I should put some air filter oil on it. Has this happend to anyone else?

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
Oh i dought that a puddle of metal would apear, these engine are a lot more relieable than people give credit, i wrap mine with a garbage bag when i think its going to rain and it works just fine

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Think of it this way:
If you had a $40,000 high end car, would you leave it sit out in the rain with the hood open. Water and engines don't typically get along. Keep it dry.
Tom

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
i had water get into my stator and magneto threw the gasket on my first bike and it burned out the stator, ive been siliconing all my gaskets and even my cdi ever since and i havent had a probelm in the rain or getting water on imy bike since :D

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
water follows the path of least resistance. a good place it likes to go is down your throttle cable, and right into your carb. left my bike outside at a girls house overnight and the sprinklers got to it. sputtered like crazy till it burned all the water up.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

Interesting... I ride my Schwinn alla time, rain or shine, and it's never once even thought of sputtering despite a few torrential downpours. My first thoughts were that mebbe it was because it was running already... but it's not like the electrical system gets hot... Guess mine just has better seals and I did pay a LOT of attention to my wiring with shrinkwrap and whatnot. *shrug*

*knocks on wood* ;)