Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting

Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your engine and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: Air in lines/carb issue?

The joy was short lived. The chain broke. Not sure how it happened but the idler pully came off, so when it got binded up the chain broke. Gotta order a new chain now. It was fun though. LOL At least I know it was more than capable of hauling me around. It was cool.

Last edited by 1kbike; 09-08-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:10 PM

Is there ANY other way to mount the sprocket other than those gaskets? I think that's what caused my chain to break. Looks like the chain rubbed on the spokes, grabbed it and pulled the pulley and everything else into it. The issue I've ran into with those gaskets is that they don't compress far enough to allow the sprocket and cruiser break to sit on. So, I took the front one off. Bad idea because I am certain that's what caused this failure. It was fun while it lasted though!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

What probably happened was the tensioner bracket rotated into the spokes. That is one of the most common mishaps to occur with a new builder. That bracket must be mounted securely so it can not move.

As for the sprocket attachment to the rear wheel, did you install it correctly? It must be a sandwich. Sprocket, rubber, spokes, rubber, metal 1/2 moon plates. If the sprocket was against the spokes that is wrong. Much has been written here about proper sprocket installation. Do some reading, keywords, 'rag joint install'

Also chain/sprocket alignment and chain tension are critical. There is a lot of information here on those issues. Search and read.

Tom
Old 09-08-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2door View Post
What probably happened was the tensioner bracket rotated into the spokes. That is one of the most common mishaps to occur with a new builder. That bracket must be mounted securely so it can not move.

As for the sprocket attachment to the rear wheel, did you install it correctly? It must be a sandwich. Sprocket, rubber, spokes, rubber, metal 1/2 moon plates. If the sprocket was against the spokes that is wrong. Much has been written here about proper sprocket installation. Do some reading, keywords, 'rag joint install'

Also chain/sprocket alignment and chain tension are critical. There is a lot of information here on those issues. Search and read.

Tom
Yeah, I pretty much did everything by the book except the extra gasket and not tightening the pulley properly. Learn as I go I suppose. Thanks for your help Tom. I'll try not to bug you too much any more.