2nd Annual Midwest Motorized Bicycle Cruise 2016

GoldenMotor.com

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I was thinking about getting a regular 2-4 bike rack that can handle say 100 lbs and just using that solely for my bike. Also thought about making one out of some steel to make sure it holds up to the job. Bolt on hitch should only cost me $100 while a bike rack seems to very quite a bit from $100 to the moon in price

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
I was thinking about getting a regular 2-4 bike rack that can handle say 100 lbs and just using that solely for my bike. Also thought about making one out of some steel to make sure it holds up to the job. Bolt on hitch should only cost me $100 while a bike rack seems to very quite a bit from $100 to the moon in price
You will love this one. I have one and love it.

http://www.discountramps.com/wheel-mount-bike-rack/p/BC-3581/

I liked it so much I even stepped up and bought the 4 place rack for my upcoming Grafton IL Memorial Day ride where I have more guest coming.

http://www.discountramps.com/piggyback-bicycle-rack/p/BC-08581-2A-2EXT/

Worth every penny I paid for them. Also they fold up behind your vehicle when not in use. Very nice option.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You all saw mine last year. I made it from 3" channel and 1" heavy wall square tubing. It has always served me well.

My anti-theft bar needed some work but I took care of that by enlarging the holes that the steel rod went through. That simplified removing them.

It bolted directly to the hitch hole in my rear bumper. The bike rode fine the whole trip.

Tom

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
You all saw mine last year. I made it from 3" channel and 1" heavy wall square tubing. It has always served me well.

My anti-theft bar needed some work but I took care of that by enlarging the holes that the steel rod went through. That simplified removing them.

It bolted directly to the hitch hole in my rear bumper. The bike rode fine the whole trip.

Tom
I thought about creating something like you did, but the problem is obtaining the steel as well as having time to make it. My access to a welder is 3 hours away! I'd like to find something for less than a hundred bucks, but it's looking like that won't happen!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
There is one very inexpensive alternative that'll carry an MB on your typical coupe or sedan. I've done it before.

Use one of those $45 racks that sit on the trunk and have hold-down straps that hook onto the edges of the trunk lid.

They're not strong enough, really, for this job. So augment the rack with a lashing strap that runs into the cab and across the back seat. It'll 'settle' further up than that, of course. It'll be running just about where the backs of the head of the backseat passengers would be. And the "C" pillar of the car is then acting as a support for this weight over your bumper.

A downside is that your pedal, and other parts of the bike, can scratch paint on the rear deck of your car. But the contact points can be padded.

This works more than well enough on two lane roads at 50 mph. If I were on the interstate doing 70, then I'd probably use two lasing straps.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Looking at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-...id=1460725771&sr=8-1&keywords=1.25"+bike+rack

I would rather have a style that doesn't hang the bikes, but it's in my price range and can handle the weight of the bike. Would also allow me to possibly bring a buddy to the bike meet.

Edit: Just bought it. It was the same one I was looking at previously, but $45 cheaper than another dealer on amazon. Hopefully it does the job just fine! If not I am sure I can pull a Tom and get out some steel and make her do the job right!

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I should had got a luggage rack. Makes so much more sense. But being able to bolt something on in my apartment complex should be more convenient than trying to figure something out for the time being until I can modify it.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I use a Reese Sportwing. It's made for 4 bikes, which should weigh more than my one motorized bike. My bike has many thousands of miles logged in this carrier with zero issues. There's a few picts in my album that cover a few years. Best of luck in your search!!

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
About 6 weeks to go gentlemen. Get those hubs and chains lubed and those buns toughened up because the Scarecrow Run is right around the corner. I promise you will see more corn, pigs, cows and chickens you ever care to see in your life! Going to be a real hoot!!!!

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
About 6 weeks to go gentlemen. Get those hubs and chains lubed and those buns toughened up because the Scarecrow Run is right around the corner. I promise you will see more corn, pigs, cows and chickens you ever care to see in your life! Going to be a real hoot!!!!
I have been updating some of my stuff. Have a little more horse power this time. Still wont be able to run with Jordan though. Should be able to climb hog hill better this year.

I have plenty of scarecrows to pass around.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I have been updating some of my stuff. Have a little more horse power this time. Still wont be able to run with Jordan though. Should be able to climb hog hill better this year.

I have plenty of scarecrows to pass around.
I put a bigger sprocket on the back to slow down for ya! Bike went through some let's not go as fast type upgrades and be a little safer sort of upgrades.

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Jordan
That "lets be safe" thing is the first signs of getting old. Heck...I used to go over the handlebars about once a week when I was a youngster. Then I got old and the idea of a trip over the handlebars is a very unpleasant thought. Lost my desire to live on the edge I guess...lol

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Jordan
That "lets be safe" thing is the first signs of getting old. Heck...I used to go over the handlebars about once a week when I was a youngster. Then I got old and the idea of a trip over the handlebars is a very unpleasant thought. Lost my desire to live on the edge I guess...lol
Well I went over the handle bars last year after the meet and it kind of knocked a little sense in me! It'll still be plenty fast, but a 40T instead of a 36T!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm in!

Sometimes my bike don't work so well. If that happens, I'll show up with a pedal bike I guess. I've got another motorized bike in the works. And it's gonna be a good one. But progress hasn't been as fast as I'd like and June 11 might get here before it's ready.

My wife hasn't gotten absolute confirmation yet that she'll be able to get the day off. Her dept is kinda like that. She can probably make it. But if she can't, then I might just ride her scooter.