Need headlights? Just Tap 'Em

GoldenMotor.com

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
These are headlights I made from A couple of "Stick-N-Click" led tap lights I picked up from the local Dollar General. In the "As seen on TV aisle". I have included some pics to help out. First you have to open the lights up by taking off the backing and removing the three phillips head screws. next when you open I advise doing so over a bowl so you don't lose the screws or three small springs inside. ( learned that trick quickly :)) now attach two wires one from each connection + & - each is marked. I used old telephone supply wire. Solid copper wire and won't kill motor. :) just make notch for wire to exit light. I wired the two lights together then to one supply line that is connected to the white wire from motor ground is mounted to exhaust stud. For a rear light I just used the third light and painted it with some model paint transparent red. Nice part is no switch or batt. required all you have to do is tap:)!! I have included some pics of my bike with New Handlebars from an old BMX bike I had Lying around and the lights both on and off with the engine running. As long as the motors running the lights work even at idle. I'm working on turn signals next. ;)

Attachments

~macaddict~

Jul 29, 2008
Really nice idea. How much did you get the set of lights for? And all 3 are running on the white wire? I have another Idea, maybe you could get a small button switch, wire it to the rear lamp and then place it behind the brake handle. That way when you brake it lights up.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Question 1: Answer- yes all off the white wire with no interference with spark or power.
Question 2: Answer- I thought of that but I figured if there's one light you want on all the time it's the rear. If you don't want it on you just "tap" it cause the switch is in the light.
The only downfall with these is they are not adjustable like the head of a flashlight to focus the beam so the illumination isn't just on the road but everywhere. I am on the case and will have a solution for that soon. I'll keep y'all posted.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I'm going to to try that, Dag. I am not happy with my current light setup (white wire & battery). I have been looking for some LEDs that will run on the white wire.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Guys deal extreme has some nifty stuff as far as lights and stuff go. It is really cheap, and so are a lot of the products but if you can fix a unsoldered wire here and there it pays off. They have turn signal things that I just steal the contol panel, leds, and brake switch then wire up my own lights using bad mamajammin bright quality leds from radio shack. All in all Total rear end lights with all mods less than 15 bucks! Leds will run on the white wire directly but they flicker a lot at lower rpms because of the AC power from the magneto.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
dag thanks for the ideas on the lights, i might try that for all the time running lights.
and keep my rechargable battery and lights for when the engine is not running.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Got a plastic tear-shaped LED headlamp from Boygofast on ebay- about 18 dollars shipped- very lightweight w/toggle- several colors available

a rear 6 v generator light from bikeworldusa.com- one of the bigger kind- less than 6 dollars-

mounting brackets come with both

both together weigh next to nothing- haven't installed yet but tested very bright

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Thanks for the tip. I wired up a set to my white wire. They have to be wired in parallel (my old incandescent lights had to be wired in sequence). As you said, these make good high visibility running lights but do not focus into a beam.
I tinted the tail light lens with glass stain from a craft store.

Last edited: