If you live in Arizona help enhance the rules for motorized bicycles.

GoldenMotor.com

Pitchfork311

Apr 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
What are the current Arizona laws that exist, specifically in Tucson. I know its supposedly a bike friendly community. But I have been harassed by motorcycle cops several times, all claiming that they could write me multiple tickets adding up to about 5 grand. So far I am really disappointed with the Tucson community, as I have only been riding a month now and been pulled over on my bike several times.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
hi you said they have pull you over several times they cant do that thats ilegal the arizona laws said that you could pedal the bike on the bike lanes but you can go on side walks or bike paths such as the rillito bike part if you goto spooky tooth web site they have a video that proof that motorized bikes are legal i think the site is spooky toothon the press well i you have any question you could write at [email protected] my name is raul

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
What are the current Arizona laws that exist, specifically in Tucson. I know its supposedly a bike friendly community. But I have been harassed by motorcycle cops several times, all claiming that they could write me multiple tickets adding up to about 5 grand. So far I am really disappointed with the Tucson community, as I have only been riding a month now and been pulled over on my bike several times.
You must keep your speed to Less Than 20 mph.

You cannot ride on sidewalks, multi-use paths, or in crosswalks even if the engine is off and you're pedaling.

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them right now. Those are the main ones. You also need to obey the regular traffic laws like any other motorized vehicle. That means stopping at traffic lights and stop signs before proceeding.

The 20 mph rule is the main one. If you hit 20 mph you magically become a moped and they can write you up for no license, registration, or insurance.

Be careful out there! The policeman is NOT your friend!

.trk

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
First thing I would do is print out a copy of http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/47leg/2r/bills/hb2796h.pdf
And carry it with at all times.

Next, when a police officer harass you get there name and badge number and file a complaint at TPD here Compliment/Complaints

In fact even without names I would file a complaint and let them know whats going on so the next time there is already a record that you had a complaint. I have always been contacted by them and explained my situation.

You could also contact your city council member and let them know you are being harassed by the TPD. Tucson in Touch Contact From Links

I don't always file a compliant at the TPD site, I also let them know when I have a good encounter with TPD officers.

.flg.

Pitchfork311

Apr 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Thanks Guy for all your. I knew about the 20mph one. The first motorcycle cop that pulled me over claimed he paced my speed above 20mph, and claimed he could write me up for this and that and 5 grand of fines. I didn't argue with him but I knew I could not be going over 20, I have calibrated my speedo. The second guy pulled me over to instruct me as to the laws, as though he assumed I just started riding w/o researching. Really annoying considering it was 620 in the morning and I had to be in to catch the bus for work by 640. So far I have been real disappointed with the law enforcement here. My research was from this web site, thanks fair for the suggestion to print it off and carry it, I will be from now on.

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
Found some info (search) from Scottsdale where this guy was really hassled/ticketed twice by the same cop. He was supposedly clocked going over 20mph, and as Finfan posted, moped law then applies.
I'm up in Prescott, and so far, so good. I've had several officers admire my bikes and ask "how fast will that thing go?". Of course, my reply is "20 mph". I can only hope that things stay the same here, because according to ARS 2516, local authorities can adopt an ordinance that "regulates or prohibits" our bikes. They can not require registration or licensing of the bike, but as in Tempe (can't use on a street with a posted speed limit over 25 mph, in addition to other restrictions) pass local laws that make it all but impossible to use on the street.