Running 12 volt car lights

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I bought a cordless 18volt hedgetrimmer and 1hour quick charger from walmart for $45
i stripped it for the battery and connector.i bought 1 clear 12v car light and 1 red car light $12.
I put clear light on front of bike and red light on back,hook them together so they use 24volts
put in a fuse and a on/off toggle switch.
battery is good for many days of power,battery recharges in 1 hour.

you can use any cordless tool battery and the charger that goes with it.
you can power many lights and other stuff.
replace rechargable battery in a year or 2 for $20

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
That's one of the best ideas I've heard for lights. How do you make them suck 24 volts and how did you mount these lights?
Wish you had pics. I have 24 volts on my bike now,tell me more.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
connect the 2 lights in series 12+12=24,postive on one light to negative on the other light,negative on one to the battery and positive on the other light to the battery.bolt,screw,or zip tie light to plastic reflector mount on bike or use a bracket from hardware store.my lights came with bolt hole because they look like trailor mount lights,the red one looks like a dome with a bolt hole to mount and the clear one is a car clearance light with screw holes to mount,you can buy these at walmart,napa,or autozone.dont forget the inline fuse and on/off switch or dimmer switch.
they last for hours or days depending on how long u use them,only 1 hour to recharge battery plus you colud buy extra batteries for $18 a piece.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Whoa, now you got me thinking. That's dangerous. :D
I always see used cordless tools for sale on Craigs and most
include the charger. Hmmm. I only need light for my morning ride to work, but that's less than 10 minutes. Still, my present set up goes through AA batteries way to fast. Thanks for the tip. (^)

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I'd like to see a second circut that has four small turn signal lights tapped into the
power supply using a small handle bar mounted builders box with a flasher in it and a 3
position toggle switch for right turn, left turn, and off (in the middle). An intermittent press
button (like a kill button) placed by the toggle could signal a brake light bulb in the tail light
too. The right thumb could easily operate these controls since they would only run for a few
seconds at a time. It could provide a light weight, simple system for turn signals & brake light
and help enable us to comply with the safety laws of the states.

A single high powered bulb in the headlamp would be adequate lighting as 30 or even 45 mph
shouldn't over drive a bright headlight.