Rear wheel with disc brake & 40T sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

Kustomized Hypnosis

Mar 17, 2016
Boulder, CO
I found out I have to register the bike I'm building as a "low powered scooter", but the Dept. Of Revenue won't register it if it's on "a bicycle". So, I'm building it without a bottom bracket, cranks or pedals, chain, or rear cog. That renders it only a "low powered scooter" and a non-bicycle. Now there can't be a coaster brake though, and I want to use a disc brake. So, I need a rear wheel with a 40 tooth sprocket and adapter on the left, and a disc rotor mount on the right. I'm brainstorming and searching the internet for the right setup. I have a steel wheel 26" x 2.125") with a coaster brake hub and 12 guage spokes that I was going to use, and I want something solid like it. Does anyone have any ideas about how to build one?

Kustomized Hypnosis

Mar 17, 2016
Boulder, CO
Another option I've considered is using the coaster brake wheel I have, removing the brake arm and cog. Then it would be a free spinning wheel without any way to pedal backwards engaging the brake shoes inside the hub. I would have to use a regular caliper brake then, but I'm mainly relying on the front disc brake for stopping power anyway. I could mount the 40 tooth sprocket to the hub with an adapter.

Would the coaster brake hub stand up to this kind of use?