Trouble in Colorado.....

GoldenMotor.com

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Well.. I was riding my Titan Bike E recumbent down the path to go to the bank and do some banking. The Titan is quiet and as I approached a man walking the same direction as I am going, I slowed to a crawl, or I slowed down to a speed that is just a little faster than he is walking. He was walking right in the middle and I wanted to go around to his left. I did not have a bell or ringer and he could hear me or was ignoring me both. Not sure.. I could see he had no ear buds.. The Titan is quiet for sure.. So..In order not to startle the guy, I approached him slowly and with Caution. As my front tire passed into his view... He jumped and hollered. I was pedaling and pedaled on past him and at that point, all I hear is cussing and that I should have shouted on your left. If I had shouted on your left, I am sure that too would have made this guy jump. But.. I went on to the end of the path and stopped at the stop light all the while hearing this guy cussing me down from behind.. As I waited and he kept walking closer to me since I was stopped.. I finally got fed up with his cussing and I turned to him and told him to shut the heck up and that I was being nice and over took him slowly and if I startled you I am sorry. Then he noticed my motor and said that I was riding a motor vehicle down a path that was forbidden. I informed him that this is no motor vehicle and that it is a bicycle and he needs to mind his own business and I will mind mine. He then resorted to using the lords name in Vain at me which I hate and I told him not to do that and not to threaten me. He said.. I am calling the cops. I said.. Good... I also told him he is full of more s##t than a thanksgiving turkey. The light changed and I went on about my business. As I go to the bank, I drive my bike past the Police Station at Columbine Valley every time. And I pass by it again on my way home from the Bank..and..As I did... Guess who is in the parking lot standing next to a Cop 4 wheel drive talking to a cop and when this guy sees me, he is waving his arms and pointing me out to the cop.. I smile and ride past.. And the cop sits there in his 4WD and this guy keeps waving his arms around as I pass.. I minded my business and went on home.. I have no idea what the cop told this guy.. But they left me alone.. So.. I can only assume the cop told the guy, he is on a bike , leave him alone... And.. So. That is how it ended.. I minded my business , and the cops mind theirs.. I enjoyed my ride... So.. You too can.. Enjoy the ride.....

Last edited:

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
You really need to get at least a bell. I have run in to many on the paths in CO and other states and that is about all that they respond to, and sometimes it takes several rings and in some cases an air horn wouldn't even work with folks tuning out. The folks that think the world revolves around them will always be in the way however and it sounds like you ran across a doozy. At least the cops were cool about it?

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I try to tell everyone that Colorado simply RULES. I have an actual you tube video of me riding past a cop on the bike trails and even a few minutes of fame on channel 7 news so like millions of viewers saw me riding Cronus down the trail and no one's complained the news have my phone number and address no one has called me to complain.
The whole idea is to keep it slow around people and to try to educate the nay-sayers.
There are roadies with far less manners then the dedicated Motorized Bicycle rider.
Colorado is easy on us I believe because of their moped laws. Under 50cc no plates.
Hopefully we don't get cops transferred from States that are more strict because the written laws seem the same,but the cops attitude seem very nice here knock on wood.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Large,
I too ride on bike trails down here in south Jeffco, especially in Clements park where the Columbine Memorial is. Weekdays the place is usually deserted especially in winter but weekends and warm days it can be a challenge. I'll run the engine until I come upon walkers, people with kids or dogs, then shut down and pedal past. I must have passed, in both directions, hundreds of people and not one has ever said a bad thing to me. I have a bell and use it when approaching from behind them and so far have been pretty fortunate to have people respond and move to the right.
My 2 stroke is quiet but I'm aware that some people see my bike as no different than a motorcycle, which is forbidden on bike trails, therefore that's why I shut down and pedal. I hope things remains like this because the trails down around my end of town are great and I'd hate to see MBs regulated off of them. Let's hope our state continues to be tolerant. Hope we can hook up some day. Maybe get you down here for a long ride.
Tom

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Yes.. You guys are right... I need to get a bell on that bike. The ring ring is one of the most polite ways of letting someone know you are coming and it sticks to the bicycle theme as well. I have a bell on on the bikes I ride with the exception of this one. It is a new build and I have not had time to put a bell on it yet. But I will put one on as the next thing to do. Thanks.. and.. Enjoy the ride..........

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I was over at Duanes one time when I just missed you,Tom. I was over there last week too.
One day probably in the summer we'll hook up.
And yea,Pablo. We ride the trails but we do have the complainers.
And on weekends I pedal a lot. People especially those with dogs quite appreciate it.
I gotta look out for the iPod wearing #$%@ though. Those at times I'll get off the trail and pass them on the grass.
The bell does sound like a winner. It would add to the cuteness to it all.
Yes. We need cuteness.
Cuteness is the new manly. :D

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Yes.. Here in Colorado, they allow Scooters to drive and park on the sidewalks downtown Denver. This is to promote the usage of scooters that will conserve fuel. Also.. There are cities such as Commerce City a suburb of Denver that has legalized Motor Assisted bicycles, golf carts, E bikes, and other such transportation modes to go anywhere they like and the only restriction is to stay off highway speed type roads. Speeds of 55mph or higher. Which makes sense actually.. What Commerce City is doing makes total sense. And.. all the paths around colorado were made and intended mostly for bicycle commuting. But.. Some people do walk them. Speed limit signs are posted at 20mph on these paths. Bicyclist are always violating this speed limit. These are not what we call foot paths.. More like... Multi use paths. Bikes, Joggers, Walkers, road bikers, ect . In Germany, the paths are used for mopeds, bikes, walkers, joggers and more. But never for motorcycles. Scooters and Motorcycles are for the road only. I was surprised to see that Scooters were allowed on the sidewalks here in Denver. Usually they are for road only. But.. Times are changing........ some for the good. We can only hope that what Commerce City has done will catch on else where. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride..

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I think scooters should be allowed on the sidewalk especially in Commerce City where you got truckers there all over I sure don't want to be in front of a semi with only 50cc between my legs.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
I usually only get grief form the spandex prima donnas riding their over priced bikes. If I encounter folks who are walking or running, I usually shut the engine off and pedal past them. It helps but doesn't guarantee that I won't get cussed at.

I was once riding my motorized bike on the santa fe trail one day on the Air Farce Acaemy and almost got into it with a Colonel. I have a short haircut, am relatively fit, and are often mistaken for being on active duty (I did do 12 years in Army). Had this Colonel get into my fact and yell at me, "do you know who I am?" I replied, "no, and I don't care? I'm the guy that pays your salary-Mr. Taxpayer." He thought he could get into my face and jack me up. I got a good laugh out of it and i rode away as he was attempting to correct me for riding a motorized vehicle on the trail.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Well.. I put over 50 miles on my Bike E recumbent Powered by Titan today . IT went without incident. Except for one.. I was riding near Hampton and Santa Fe when some older guy on a bike pedaled up behind me shouting stop stop neat ride I want to see it stop !!. So.. I stopped pedaling and applied my brakes and came to a stop.. He came up to me and said.. Neat ride.. Whats your name? I stuck out my hand and said.. Duane.. And yours? He said.. I have a cell phone and if I call the cops they will come and take your bike.. I said ? What? You stopped me for this? Are you kidding me? He said.. No I am not kidding... I said.. See ya.. I have business... And I rode on... I thought about that for about 1/2 an hour or so trying to figure out what this guys beef was.. All I can figure is that this guy is just a jerk. A neighborhood terrorist.. Going around making threats to people. O well.. I mind my business and I am nice to people. I will continue to be so till I die.. Until then.. I will enjoy the ride... I sure did enjoy the ride today.. That is.. After this guy finished threatening me with his cell phone and calling cops... I must have rode by at least 5 cops in cop cars today while on sidewalks and paths.. They pay me no attention at all. I used my bike to go to Fedex, USPS and then Walmart to buy a bicycle bell for my bicycle.. O yea.. I went to the Thrift store downtown and that is when I crossed paths with this guy.. O well.. There is one or 2 in every crowd I guess. Enjoy the ride.............

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
It's really gotten to the point that I only stop for people when I'm not on the trail. There was this one spandex dude down the Speer trail one day while cruising Cronus that looked at me up ahead,stopped then held out his arm towards me like he's a 4 year old play cop and I'm a 4 year old play pirate. And this pirate rode right by him as he was saying "Wait! I just wanted to see your bike!"
Yea.
Oh Kay.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I've tried to wave down MBers in the past but I've been dissed way more than I've been humored. I no longer try to stop a MBer, they must get static more than I do.
The Whizzer is obnoxiously loud with no baffles, making it easy to hear through all but the loudest I-Pods. Surprisingly I've received little guff from anyone. I got more indignant looks when I was riding the Thinkbike. I suppose the spandex folks are a little more disconcerted when a silent folder comes zipping up way faster than they thought, and passes them. Maybe it's the steel toe boots, blue jeans and flannel shirt...or the cigarette dangling James Dean style from my lip. :D