Bike bug wheels review?

GoldenMotor.com

Yume

Jun 13, 2015
AR, USA
Has anyone tried the bike bug wheels? (http://bikebug.net/reinforced-rims/ ) The say that the are designed to be strong and use 12g spokes. Could they really be worth messing with in that price range? The price is idea if so.

The mountain bike that im gearing up to install a kit on was given to me and was heavily use, and the weeks are not exactly true. Its minor enough that its un noticeable now, but the rims, spokes, and nipples are and rusty. I dont trust the integrity of the wheel under engine load. Could these really be much worse, if not at least comparable, to normal bicycle wheels?

If not,what are a few names of wheel builders that you:d personally trust for you builds?

Thank in advance!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I saw those wheels and the rims look nice but with the only configuration being sold being coaster brake it really shorts them from selling a lot of these, now if they could sell the rims alone or at least sell them with multi speed hubs or fixie flip flop hubs, then I would be more interested. But to sell them in Chrome only, and only with a coaster brake hub makes me lose interest pretty quick.
What I would like to see would be either some different hub options as well as the ability to buy just the rim in black or just primer so we could paint the color of choice... chrome is a nice option but not everyone likes chrome...

Here's a 26 x 2.125" Husky wheel that sells for $35 which would be plenty strong as well as nice and wide.... http://www.huskybicycles.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=hb&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=500-232

Yume

Jun 13, 2015
AR, USA
I notice that they only offer a rear coaster wheel. Does anyone think it would be possible to lace in my own mnt bike hubs, or do you think is have problem since the spokes are not the standard gauge?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Most the time you can lace in whatever hub you want as long as they have the same number of holes, you may need to drill the holes in the hubs just a tad so the 12 GA spokes will go thru, you can even drill then install 11 GA spokes as long as you got enough edge distance

Yume

Jun 13, 2015
AR, USA
Thanks for the help daveZilla! I'll check out that link, and i might do one of each so that i can lace in the mint bike cluster in the back with the stronger spokes. I've just got to do some measuring now!

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
12g spoke holes will take an 11g nipple and probably even a 10g. I ordered rims from husky that are drilled for 12g and 11g spokes, did not have to drill and there was even a fair bit of play still.

Yume

Jun 13, 2015
AR, USA
I checked out that link and it's nice that they are also 12g and 10 bucks cheaper per wheel. Not to mention the name.

Unless bike bug offers different set ups I think im going to go with the husky's if I ever get around to it .

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
I decided to give the wheel a try, work around the coaster brake issue, at only $45 why not? Well, I put the wheel in my cart and looked at the shipping price: $28 flat rate! Only shipping option available. For $73 not what I was hoping to spend so never mind.

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
I checked Davezilla's suggestion and they have a $20 shipping option, but at only $35 for the wheel $55 is more palatable than Bikebug's. Also, it's a freewheel so there would be no additional work. Thanks Dave! Just what I was looking for!