Grubee 44 tooth motorized bicycle hub question

GoldenMotor.com

robo5050

May 21, 2008
Northridge,CA
Hello forum members,
I recently bought a Grubee HD motorized bicycle freewheel hub with band brake,and 48 tooth sprocket;
I have not mounted it yet,and would like to know whether the RHD side freewheel threads will accept a freehub/sprocket cassette,or a single speed freewheel sprocket??

I am a complete newbie when it comes to motorized bicycles, so only forum members who have had experience with the Grubee freewheel HD motorized bicycle hub/sprocket assembly please reply to this post!!:-||

theonlyhek

Jul 20, 2008
Treasure Coast, FL
Re: Grubee 44 tooth MB hub question

Hello forum members,
I recently bought a Grubee HD MB freewheel hub with band brake,and 48 tooth sprocket;
I have not mounted it yet,and would like to know whether the RHD side freewheel threads will accept a freehub/sprocket cassette,or a single speed freewheel sprocket??

I am a complete newbie when it comes to MB's, so only forum members who have had experience with the Grubee freewheel HD MB hub/sprocket assembly please reply to this post!!:-||
I want one, where can I order it?dnut

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA

Hello forum members,
I recently bought a Grubee HD MB freewheel hub with band brake,and 48 tooth sprocket;

I am a complete newbie when it comes to MB's, so only forum members who have had experience with the Grubee freewheel HD MB hub/sprocket assembly please reply to this post!!:-||
As purchased from Grubee the hub is set-up and spaced for a single speed freewheel on the right side. It can be modified fairly easly to take a multispeed freewheel if you so desire, but to do this you need to flip the axle and add some additional spacers on the right side.

ocscully

JoelC707

Jan 21, 2009
Tucson, AZ

I have them but I'm not currently selling them for this very reason, there are few places you can find a freewheel that fits. I have some freewheels coming from Grubee, they should be here in about a month. I've heard Firebelly Cycles has the freewheels but I've not contacted them to confirm that. You can also get a standard freewheel to fit if you work at it. You'll need what's known as valve grinding compound and simply work the sprocket on and off the hub until it wears off the chrome. It might be a little loose but I've heard it works and as long as you get it nice and tight it shouldn't matter if the threads are loose as it goes on.

If anyone really wants one they're on my site but marked as out of stock until I get the freewheels from Grubee. Send me a message from my site to inquire about them. USABikeMotors.com, Star-Fire Motors and Parts

crotchrocket

Apr 5, 2009
Florida

I have ordered and recieved a nice set of wheels and grubee hub from firebelly and couldn't find a freewheel to fit locally, but found one online for $17US. Here's a cut n paste from an email conversation on this topic!

The Grubee site says the threads are 35x1 CW. . I found a thread on motoredbikes.com with a guy that says they(or at least his) are not and that 35x1 CW doesn't even exist, and that there are in fact several others but not 35x1. He also goes to say that he found a freewheel sprocket from a chinese elect. scooter that fits the grubee hub perfectly, and even did a funny little flash animation to prove his point...lol! So I ordered one of those sprockets and when it comes in I'll let you know how it goes.

The sprocket shipped yesterday so I'll let you guys know as soon as I do if this one works with the grubee hub...

crotchrocket

Apr 5, 2009
Florida

The freewheel mentioned above from a chinese electric scooter came in today and fits perfectly onto the grubee hub. I ordered from the link above and it showed up in 3 days. Its a 16 tooth freewheel sprocket with chinese threading. Like I said, it fit perfectly by hand, was only $17US and shipped from CA to FL in 3 days! Hope this helps....
.spr.

Siegie1

May 9, 2009
U. P. of Michigan

ocscully,
How did you "flip the axle"? The bearings are sealed. I know how to adjust axles when the hub has bearings and cones, but I do not see how to make any adjustments on this hub. Also I can't believe that a standard freewheel (1.375" x 24 tpi) can be forced onto a 35x1 threaded hub without damaging the threads. It might work for awhile, but what will happen long term?