Is there such a thing?

GoldenMotor.com

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
I've searched and searched for a 32 hole 26' steel wheel. With no prevail, I've called a few local bike shops as well. Anyone ever seen such a beast?

32 SPOKE 26-2.25 or 2.50

I have some moped hubs I really wanna lace into some 26" wheels for my BTR project!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's an interesting question. One that I've never even considered before.

I suppose 32 hole patterns were developed in order to save on weight. So making a steel rim might be counter-productive. Even if that's only a very small issue, demand might be lacking.

It might be that you'll have to settle for some alloy rims. But then, will you be able to find any that are wide enough?

Best of luck to you. Moped hubs sounds like a very good idea to me.

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
I've sent 2 emails to bike shops online. Their response was "All 26" wheels are 36 spoke?" Not much help, or even offering knowledge on other wheels new or old.

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
I asked a bicycle guy about leaving out a few spokes he acted really odd about the whole idea. I figured a heavy duty steel wheel with 10ga spokes should help with offsetting the missing spokes.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've sent 2 emails to bike shops online. Their response was "All 26" wheels are 36 spoke?" Not much help, or even offering knowledge on other wheels new or old.
Whoever you're talking to doesn't have a clue. I'm running 32 spoke rims on my old Norton bike, and they're 26". I fabricated my own rear sprocket adapter but they ARE 32 spoke double wall rims.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
Whoever you're talking to doesn't have a clue. I'm running 32 spoke rims on my old Norton bike, and they're 26". I fabricated my own rear sprocket adapter but they ARE 32 spoke double wall rims.

Tom
Where did you find such a beast? Are they steel or alloy?

I been talkin to the guys @ junkyrustybikes.com.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Where did you find such a beast? Are they steel or alloy?

I been talkin to the guys @ junkyrustybikes.com.
vdubb,
They're alloy but pretty darn tough rims. I stumbled on them at a local bike shop, Performance Bikes, when I was looking to put disc brakes on the Norton. They were on sale, $79. a pair down from $129.00. I used the disc brake rear hub and made a sprocket adapter to fit it. They've held up well with a little over 2000 miles on the bike.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless you plan to do serious off-roading or just hard on wheels, they should do fine. Keep in mind you're just getting the rims, no hubs, no spokes, for $36.00.

Tom

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
Just everyday riding, NO off roadin on a BTR. Yeah I just need the rims. I have a set of drum hubs out of a moped i wanna use and they are 32 hole, so i guess theses aluminum rims are gonna be the ticket. I wonder what size spokes these wheels will accommodate? I really wanted good heavy 10 gauge. I'll have to figure out spoke length next.

There any formulas on that, I was just planning on taking rims and hubs to local bike shop and see what they suggest.

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
2Door what gauge spokes are you running on ya alloy wheels?

I'm going 4 stroke either a HF 6 1/2HP 212cc or a 1920s Briggs FH 3 1/2HP for my power plant. I really like the Briggs but finding one in decent shape is the hard part, and that's not gonna break the bank.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I think I have finally found my answer to my wheel issue!!!

Please check out the link and gice me some feedback!!!!!!!!!

http://www.junkyrustybikes.co/shop/26-rims/black-origin-8-26x4-dat-pro-101-rim-for-fatbike-48665/
You looking to run a 4.5" tire?
4" is what the rims are on the Dolomite Mongoose.

I suggest you pick your tires first, then see what the smallest rim you can run for them is.

This Sun for example has much nicer 4" wide road tires and 3.5" rims.

Big fat comfortable tires, just not ungodly big.