Ha anyone used one and will it even work?

GoldenMotor.com

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350838367945?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Greetings!
I haven't posted in a while but i saw this style of rear brake on ebay listed as an electric bicycle brake. It looks like it is also part of a kit that would work with a rear sprocket on another listing. Here is my question: Im running a worksman rear wheel with a jackshaft, so i dont have a secondary drive sprocket on the rear wheel, only the regular one. Because of the SBP jackshaft, the coaster brake of course doesnt work because if you attempt to pedal backwords, the chainring just 'freewheels', and worksman wheels have a rolled rim that doesn't work with rim stop brakes. Does anyone know how this brake attaches to the rear wheel hub? It looks like there is a spinning disc that is stopped by a band that tightens, so the disc would have to spin/stop with the rear wheel, right?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
These brakes are used with a double sided hub and there are two types, - a band type brake that wraps around a pressed steel drum that screws onto the hub, and an internal expanding type brake that works inside a similar pressed steel brake drum.
The brake in the ebay auction is the band type brake.

They are effective enough as a brake, but aren't really what you would call a heavy duty brake. I have several that I picked up cheaply when a local importer had a stock clearance, but I also have two of the internal expanding brakes on order. Bear in mind that I'm a skinny vegetarian who doesn't ride fast so what may suit me just fine might not suit everybody when it comes to this kind of brake.

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Thanks for the info! So what im wondering is how the pressed steel drum attach to the hub? it looks like it has a large center hole and two smaller holes off the the sides. Do you have to drill out your hub flange and just bolt it through the smaller holes? I'm considering using one like this for the rear brake just to add a little bit more stopping power because i have no rear brake right now.