Anyone using Royal Purple engine oil?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
So I've been using supertech full synthetic 5w30 in my 98cc flathead. Its ok, but it gets extremely dirty after a couple weeks. I put about 30-45 mi/wk on my bike, so I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Needed more oil and wanted to switch, was at walmart today and saw Royal Purple and grabbed a quart to try. Will it be worth it? Better than supertech (walmart store brand)?

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I've been using it since I started with four strokes.
Theres times when I go long periods without oil changes because I don't have the time or I'm to lazy( hs 49cc are a b**ch on oil changes ) and the oil maintains its viscoisity very well.
I change oil on customer builds we're they supply me there own oil, some of the cheaper stuff breaks down fast and loses its viscoisity.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
IMHO, Shell Rotella T is some of the best oil one can use on these little 4-strokes. It's designed for severe duty and excels in handling particulates.
This is important on small engines with small sumps and no oil filters.

Also my humble opinion, I believe Royal Purple is as overrated as Pennzoil.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Maxima oils are as good as you can get for our engines.....4-strokes or 2-strokes. Serve Pennzoil to your enemies as it will slow them down with sludge in no time. I believe the Queen uses Royal Purple in her Rolls Royce. :D

Robby

May 18, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I have been using Brad Penn in my Suzuki Hyabusa powered Sports Racer at work. It is one of the only oils Top Fuel drag teams use as it is single origin Pennsylvanian oil, making it consistent and safe for 3000hp + engines. A small discrepancy here in oil consistency means big problems. A lot of teams "rebrand" their oil as the sponsors product is not suitable. They (B.P.) also add zinc which has now been removed from most oils as it blocks catalytic converters in road cars. Most oils are blended from different base stocks and vary considerably from time to time depending on where a batch has come from. Brad Penn is contracted to help improve most oil company's products.
Penzoil use to be single origin oil.
I want a four stroke bike now to try some in that application.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Like Scotto said Maxima. There products are meant for motorcycles and are far superior to standard brands. I use the Maxima underbone 4T oil, along with there chain wax and cleaner. I've only seen this oil in a 20 - 50w, but it works great in the HF99cc. Royal purple is a good oil, but not as good as mobile one or maxima. Check your local motorcycle shop for maxima products because you won't find it at Walmart.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
All I needed to know is that its better than supertech, and from the one or two replies that actually said anything about royal purple, I gather that it is. That's good enough for me. Thanks guys.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, switched to the Royal Purple today. Got home from work and drained out the supertech oil and poured in the RP. Hope it holds up decent. Keeping my fingers crossed lol.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've used royal purple before and it just needs changed more often. It reminds me of Quaker State because it gums up if you don't change it regularly.
In my opinion, it is no better than any name brand oil and worse than some.
I prefer Lucas products lately for my ring-dingers but I'm really considering Opti1.
For a four-stroke, I agree with The Aleman. Rotella is proven in millions of road miles in fleet service and is about the best thing going for durability.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I changed the oil yesterday. Drove back and forth to work today, and so far it seems ok. Obviously its only one day and there's no telling yet how long this oil will last for me, but at least it didn't gum up on the first ride.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
So I think I may know why my oil was getting so dirty. The way the governor was attached to my engine was through the crankcase. When I got the engine, the governor had already been removed and the two holes on the crankcase where it had been attached were left unplugged. I never gave it much thought until I was looking over the engine today and saw oil and dirt all over the rear of my motor mount. I drove to home depot and got two of the shortest M6x1.0 cap screws they had and used them to plug the two holes. Its my guess that air and dirt were getting into the crankcase via those two holes. Hopefully no more prematurely dirty oil.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
that sounds like a serious problem, I would look inside the engine for abrasive damage. check that the bearings spin smooth with no gritty feeling, check the bore and piston for scoring. that could have caused serious damage. flush the case if there is any evidence of abrasive damage. as for oil, I think non-detergent oil is best for small engines because it doesn't mix with water easily like detergent oil can and it doesn't mix dirt and goo around the engine. detergent oil is good for engines with oil pumps and filters because the filter will pick out any goo and grime that the detergent washes up

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
So I think I may know why my oil was getting so dirty. The way the governor was attached to my engine was through the crankcase. When I got the engine, the governor had already been removed and the two holes on the crankcase where it had been attached were left unplugged. I never gave it much thought until I was looking over the engine today and saw oil and dirt all over the rear of my motor mount. I drove to home depot and got two of the shortest M6x1.0 cap screws they had and used them to plug the two holes. Its my guess that air and dirt were getting into the crankcase via those two holes. Hopefully no more prematurely dirty oil.
I seriously doubt any of the dirtiness was coming from dirt and such from those two unintended crankcase vents. These little 4-strokes just wear in quickly and the oil gets dirty in no time, especially when they are new.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I used to run RP in my IMCA Mod, it did good for me but then again the oil was changed after every race. Can't say anything about its long term use.

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
So ive been using Royal Purple for the last 3 weeks. I think it get dirty real quick. My bike feels like it lost some power after week and a half. I'm going to change it tonight and see what it looks like.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I just checked my oil today, and it looks pretty clean. I was only able to let it idle for a few minutes before checking the oil, so tomorrow I will check it again when I get home from work. But the engine isn't running weird or anything, and the oil isn't gummy. Hawaii, I don't think the oil is your problem, maybe something else. Its been fine for me so far. But every engine is different, so I guess its possible.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It only gums if you leave it in too long.
Not a bad oil, just nothing above and beyond standard car oils.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
It only gums if you leave it in too long.
Not a bad oil, just nothing above and beyond standard car oils.
"Standard" is fine lol. The walmart supertech oil I was using is obviously below standard, so anything that is considered standard would be better than supertech. I wonder how long is too long? I put 30-45 mi/wk on my bike, and only having to change once a month would be nice. I was changing the supertech oil every 2 to 3 weeks.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
new oils are not as good as oil's just a few years ago. why? no zinc and other non epa friendly additives. they dont hold up to pressure, thats why their isnt flat tappet cams any more to speak of. im talking dyno oils but the best was rated S-f S-g about 10 yr old oil now. after that the govt starting sticking its head into things and we got good old SBC's with flat cams in no time. diesel oils worked but the govt ruined them too. but for the price of a qt of racing oil i'd take a gallon of dello or rotella anytime