Disc brake with mount, right side?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/80cc-Motorized-BIKE-GAS-ENGINE-parts-disc-brake-w-mount-DB-2-/160715464771?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256b636043

Does this thing screw onto the cassette threads on the right side of the hub?
If so, where does the rear sprocket fit on? Or do both fit to be able to share the same threads?
Where does it say that brake is for the rear wheel? I think it's for a front wheel and will require a hub with provisions for mounting a rotor. The fork will also need to have caliper brackets. Either front or rear, you'll need a disc brake hub and mounts for the caliper. It doesn't go on the pedal chain side.

Tom

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/80cc-Motorized-BIKE-GAS-ENGINE-parts-disc-brake-w-mount-DB-2-/160715464771?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256b636043

Does this thing screw onto the cassette threads on the right side of the hub?
If so, where does the rear sprocket fit on? Or do both fit to be able to share the same threads?
This kit is for a hub that is threaded on the left side as well as the right side. Unfortunately, BGF does not give you all the information you need to complete the installation. It is designed for frames that don't have the disc brake mounts.

Here's an electric bike company, GNG electric that sells the kit and has the installation instructions: http://www.gngebike.com/disc-brake-conversion

They do have some other products on their order page. The disc brake frame adapter would be worth checking out:
http://www.gngebike.com/disc-brake-conversion-2

Looking at the kit, it is for a freewheel hub.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks BigBlue, those links actually answered a lot of my questions, like how that adapter for non-disc frames fits on the bike.
I would like to convert my rear to disc brakes simply because I hate rim brakes.
I saw somewhere here a post where the poster used a rag joint on a disc brake rim, Found it! why did I not think of that? But I hate rag joints too.
(hate is an awful word.)
But if it makes disc conversion easier, rag it is, or an clamshell adaptor.

2 questions
1)44 tooth sprocket?
2)How much clearance preferred between chain and caliper? 1mm, 2mm?
Or as much as can be gotten away with?

And thanks 2Door, seems that product I was looking at is only partially what I am looking for, I don't need the threaded thing. But my questions have been answered satisfactorily.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Unfortunately, I am at this time too broke to be buying expensive parts, that is why I am looking for as much as a DIY thing as possible.

That's why the rag joint/ (or something better) disc brake setup like in the forum link I posted.

I made this setup
Two problems, the brake caliper has clearance from the chain, barely, but nothing a dropout spread and spacers wouldn't fix, but the caliper doesn't fit all the way down to contact all the brake pads to disc.

I can fix this, but I'd rather start from scratch and just looking for some better and interesting DIY's.

Thanks!

PS, I already built a top hat adapter (in my head) that can be built without machine tools.

My mind is swimming. (but not drowning, yet)

PS again. maybe my answer is a disc with more hole options that bolts can go through and leave clearance for the caliper?

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
And I just looked at the convo kit at gng. That hub for the rear is a flip-flop hub with normal freewheel threads on both sides. I seen the complete wheel but can't remember the site right now. And the adaptor gng sells looks like the one I linked to from Bussetti. FYI,fwiw.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Since I need a new motor and am not riding perhaps I can take a look at my hub set up and see if I can get my disc caliper to fit in all the way, the way it is now, the shoe makes only about 75% contact with about 1mm clearance from the chain.
Then after re-man, I will buy one of those adaptors.

d_gizzle, I do have the proper hole mounts for the adaptor.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I didn't say anything about holes. Did I?

And you live in Canada? Go to chainganglowrider.com. They got all the disc adaptors you need. I started a thread in the swap&shop with a link to their disc brake page.