Alternative fix for the rubber spoke liner that stretches into rim?

GoldenMotor.com

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I was thinking electrical tape or perhaps parts from a 24" tube stretched onto a 26" rim? cutting it straight might prove difficult though. One rim I have has what looks to be packaging straps made out of PVC or plastic. They used to come on things in plain brown boxes and may still for all I know.

What have you used in the past? I imagine my grocery carpet strips may work if I can connect them precisely with fuzzy side up to prevent tube puncture.

Any thoughts anyone?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I use a big roll of tape I bought a long time ago for all my wheels that has nylon reinforced strips running throughout the tape (believe it was originally for Stans no Tube system). Its very strong & stays put. I think I bought it at Grainger & got 2 rolls, one for road rims (narrow) & another for MTB's (wider)...
-Lowracer-

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I remember the stuff. My father used to buy it and one could tie a seat to the stuff and use it as a swing. I opted for some old 1" wide electrical tape. I folded it and ran it along the inside. So it is essentially a 2 ply of that stuff. It is of an older vintage perhaps 1980's thicker than modern made rolls.

Finished welding some trailer parts and a very odd hitch onto the GEBE today. Once finished will start a thread.. The motor precision needs grinding and reworking. It does work fine right now but alignment is a headache and too much work!

I use a big roll of tape I bought a long time ago for all my wheels that has nylon reinforced strips running throughout the tape (believe it was originally for Stans no Tube system). Its very strong & stays put. I think I bought it at Grainger & got 2 rolls, one for road rims (narrow) & another for MTB's (wider)...
-Lowracer-

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Thank you. I just learned that there are two kinds used. 1. Stick Tape and 2. Shin Tape. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_tape
I am guessing you go with stick tape? May give this a whirl.

I found some nice designs as well
A. Skulls
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Roll-Sk...239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e73e1c6e7

B. Flags
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Flag-Cl...191?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c564734df

( even if there is a rim strip ) I go over mine with hockey tape . Usually go around 4 times .

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
It was the hockey ( stick ) tape that i was talking about .
I find it best to apply the tape in one continuous piece , then cut the stem hole out when you are done ( with a small pointy exacto knife ) .
I go 3 or 4 layers , depending on the rim and whether or not the rim is dimpled .
If you put too many layers on , it will be hard to get the tire on the rim .

I over-inflate all of my tires ( a lot ) to make them roll real nice .

Some of the older but better steel mountin bike rims i have used had pretty sharp slots on the spoke nipples and wear holes in the original rim strips . Since I,ve been wrapping them with the hockey tape I haven,t popped a tube . At least not on a spoke nipple anyways .

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I like the skull designs.. Can use the tape over some foam perhaps for grip? Will be grabbing some rolls in the near future there.

I over-inflate all of my tires ( a lot ) to make them roll real nice .
Sounds great! The less room you give the tube to expand the tighter the fit I am thinking.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Wow, cool. I imagine it could be a 2 ply thing perhaps closed in some of the tape discussed here. Did you stretch and cut with razor? I have no 24" tubes. I imagine local bike store might have a few tossed. Will ask next time.

I am going to try the 24" tube idea and see if it works. I already have the tube cut, just have to do the rest!

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I just bought a 24" tube from walmart for like $5.00. Its one of their bell brand ones. I poked a hole in it with a razor and then used scisors to cut it the rest of the way, no stretching required. I have yet to install it as I have been studying for a big test for work. The innertube had lines in it (from the mold I think) so it gave me something to follow with my scissors. I will update you tomorrow when I go to install it.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Thanks.. I was kinda thinking if this works there are freebies at the local bike store.. There is also a thread on instructables.. "100 uses for old bicycle inner tubes." I will post a great use here and there some day..

I will update you tomorrow when I go to install it.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Well, I was able to get around to it earlier than I thought. The result was that a 24" tube is about 2" too big in circumference (had to cut 2" out and tape it). If you have one laying around by all means use it along with a piece of electrical tape to hold it. I would maybe try a 20" tube for a 26" rim.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've used electrical tape on tons bikes for years. never had a flat from spokes popping through.

i use two wraps. cheap and easy.

one thing i always do is grind down any spoke ends that are sticking up past the nipple. if you run your finger over it and it's sharp, grind it till it's smooth.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the majority of flats from spokes are due to weak rims flexing, which pushes the spoke up into the tube. bmx and jumping bikes, as well as crappy bikes going off curbs are the most prone to it.

i build all my wheels, grind the ends, de-burr anything else that might be in the wheel, and i can't remember the last time i had a spoke flat. probably not since i had those crappy ACS Z-rims in the late 70's...

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Before you add the tape or liner or whatever you decide to use, you MUST deburr anything and everything. A spoke end, spoke hole burr, etc, will cut right through whatever liner you use. Grind everything down and make sure it is all silky smooth! And use slime tubes. Say goodbye to flats!