24" Maxxis Hookworm Tires......

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Yeah the thread was about rubber tires but.....

Isn't it too early in the day to be hitting the hard stuff? ;) LOL
hehehe, you'd think, but it's 2 in the afternoon here and Happy Hour runs until bed time ;-}

I do like the hookworm tires though, 26"ers on this build.

You can really get a good sideways lean with the sidewall tread.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Wow Kcvale, and here i am wondering if a new set of pots and pans is something my Mrs wants for our aniversary. Haha
Hook worms are good but as you can see, I prefer CSTs.

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Crazy post KC...I say handle it if ya have too...

I like both tires. I sure wish someone would come up with a thick super moto tire that is sticky in 24 and 26.... That would be fun

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I did find some inner tubes, but I notice 24 x 2.5 tubes don't seem very common. 2.25 are easier to find. Has anyone tried 2.25 tubes in 2.5 tires?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I did find some inner tubes, but I notice 24 x 2.5 tubes don't seem very common. 2.25 are easier to find. Has anyone tried 2.25 tubes in 2.5 tires?
Yes, but they will be thinner when inflated in a larger tire than they are made for. You really want to run downhill or freesride tubes that are 2.25mm wall thickness, they truly are like motorcycle inner tubes and resist flats like no other.

24 x 2.4/2.75 are the tubes you are looking for.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yes, but they will be thinner when inflated in a larger tire than they are made for. You really want to run downhill or freesride tubes that are 2.25mm wall thickness, they truly are like motorcycle inner tubes and resist flats like no other.

24 x 2.4/2.75 are the tubes you are looking for.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom scotto. I did order the tubes you've recommended. My bike, it needs all the help it can get to fight flats.

The Thick Bricks I have now are very tough with thick tread, and I haven't had a flat with them, but the chopper tires I ran before them got 2 flats in 1000 miles. The Hookworm's look more like the chopper tires than Thick Bricks.

In case anyone's interested these are the least expensive tubes I found in this size.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=17341&category=597

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If you can find these tubes.......these are the best I have used and the same price as the Kenda's, just a little bit thicker!

I haven't seen them lately but if anyone can locate a source for them, by all means please share! Very motorcycle like tube of quality. They are 24"x 2.4/2.75 SV......same as the Kenda tubes.

scotto-

dnut

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thanks for sharing your wisdom scotto. I did order the tubes you've recommended. My bike, it needs all the help it can get to fight flats.

The Thick Bricks I have now are very tough with thick tread, and I haven't had a flat with them, but the chopper tires I ran before them got 2 flats in 1000 miles. The Hookworm's look more like the chopper tires than Thick Bricks.

In case anyone's interested these are the least expensive tubes I found in this size.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=17341&category=597
I got my tubes today. Really good service from Universal Cycle. I ordered on Monday, and delivered on Wednesday. Cheaper than Amazon too.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Tis the season, so I finally got around to installing my new Hook Worms. Now I see what scotto was talking about. These tires really are head and shoulders above any other tires I've tried.

I vastly underestimated what these tires would be like compared to my old Thick Bricks, because the Thick Bricks were so big and wide. The Hook Worms look little and scrawny in comparison, but it doesn't matter. The Hook Worms corner like glue, and want to do easy stoppies, where the Thick Bricks would start making noise when you pushed them.

The one area where the Thick Bricks did well was I never had a flat with them. If the Hook Worms can resist flats half as well I'd never go back.