24" Maxxis Hookworm Tires......

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
One thing to keep in mind is that all the Arrow bikes & many others of the fastest out there are winning on other brands of tires.
The Arrow bikes all have these weird Nirve 'chopper' tires on them. :/

I was running "Duro' street tires & they grabbed the track pretty good at the last race.

Hookworms aren't the only game in town. ;)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
dnutMust be why I am sitting on 11 of those Cheng Shin Scotty posted.
Gonna get a few more of them too !! Got a lot of riding to do and some 50,000 miles ''variably WAY more than that''.... of Morini engines to wear out. (p)

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
cheng shin is maxxis, by the way...
Yes, but kinda funny tho......CST are made in China and Hookwoorms are made in Taiwan. After I burn through my next 5 pair of these 24" tires, I'll get a 20" wheelset for the Slant and run the Hookies again ;)

It's a viscious circle....or cycle....or sumthin' laff

dnut

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am not completely out of the woods yet lol. Still waiting for my 6 others to come in the mail. I just made some phone calls and vendors can still get this Cyclops tire in a 24''x2.4'' from China. So put your orders in!! This will get them to continue it manufacture for us this one anyway.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well finally after getting to spend some time racing the Cyclops, i'm happy to say they are on par with the Hookworm. They seem to be a worthy replacement so far and they should be as they're made by the same company. They also look like they will hold up equally as well as the Hooky, as the rubber and thread count appear to be the same. So far, so good! (^)

dnut

Dobyns

Aug 16, 2012
Kenosha
I really like Kenda K-rad's myself.... its a good street/ trail compromise .... and i like tire flash as well with the emblem.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I really like Kenda K-rad's myself.... its a good street/ trail compromise .... and i like tire flash as well with the emblem.
Yes, the Kenda K-Rad's are my old favorite all-around tire for bikes with motors on them. For racing on the tracks we use, you need a little more stick than the K-Rad's can provide.....trust me.

Here's some K-RAD's on one of my old race bikes....a 2.5" up front and a 2.3" on the rear.

dnut

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I was Getting sick of looking for tires that match and are offered in 26" and 24" when I found out about the Cst cyclops.
They look great and have been good tires for commuting also. I have never gotten a flat since the day I put them on *knock on wood*

Here they are on my boxer
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=41410
Same here. I started using the cyclops and liked them better then the hook worms. I noticed a lot less rear tire hop going around fast turns and at $15/tire, that was a plus. Only thing is they are 2.4" wide but still fit my 2.5" rims well.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Same here. I started using the cyclops and liked them better then the hook worms. I noticed a lot less rear tire hop going around fast turns and at $15/tire, that was a plus. Only thing is they are 2.4" wide but still fit my 2.5" rims well.
Can't complain about the price, but I'm used to running 3" tires on my bike. I'm not sure 2.4" would work for me. The smallest I've tried ended up about 2.7" on my rims, and I didn't like them very much, but there were other issues about the profile shape. Just the size alone I could have lived with.

The 3" thick Bricks I'm running now actually work great for me, but they're so big that nothing says motorcycle better. I'm looking to go back to a smaller looking tire for the cloaking effect they have.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Can't complain about the price, but I'm used to running 3" tires on my bike. I'm not sure 2.4" would work for me. The smallest I've tried ended up about 2.7" on my rims, and I didn't like them very much, but there were other issues about the profile shape. Just the size alone I could have lived with.

The 3" thick Bricks I'm running now actually work great for me, but they're so big that nothing says motorcycle better. I'm looking to go back to a smaller looking tire for the cloaking effect they have.
When you see 24" Cyclops mounted on a Large Marge rim, you'll think it is a motorcycle tire......believe me. Check out Nashmoto's bike's and a few others at the races if ya don't.....

you really need to see it in person to see the width.....they are FAT!

dnut

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
When you see 24" Cyclops mounted on a Large Marge rim, you'll think it is a motorcycle tire......believe me. Check out Nashmoto's bike's and a few others at the races if ya don't.....

you really need to see it in person to see the width.....they are FAT!

dnut
Good to know, sounds like they could work for me. I probably should have bought the Cyclop's, but I ordered Hookworms instead because I like the more sexy looking tread pattern.

If you have a 3" wide rim any tire looks like a motorcycle tire. I wish I had them. My rims aren't very wide. Only about 29mm on the inside. 3" tires really shouldn't even fit. The only reason they can is if they have really tall sidewalls, like Thick Bricks, or the stock knobbies that come on my bike. When I tried the super low profile 3" tires I use on the Deep 6, they fit, but the profile was so screwed up they didn't grip well, and they were closed down to 2.7" wide.

Stealth offers Crazy Bob 24 x 2.35 as alternative street tires for my bike. They look kind of skinny on a Bomber though.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Biknut,
My eBike is only 1kw and it was going thru at least one rear tire every 500-750 miles, that's the reason I switched to knobbys. I can't imagine you getting much better mileage since you have 5xs the power.
Keep us informed on the longevity of your rear tire's wear.
here are some good all around tires you should consider(24×2.7 on 2.5" rims). I've probably got a little over 1k miles on them and the rear tire shows little wear.I think the weight of the hub wears the street rear tire faster then the knobbys.

Attachments

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Biknut,
My eBike is only 1kw and it was going thru at least one rear tire every 500-750 miles, that's the reason I switched to knobbys. I can't imagine you getting much better mileage since you have 5xs the power.
Keep us informed on the longevity of your rear tire's wear.
I guess I'm pretty easy on tires these days. The Thick Brick's I'm running currently have about 1700 miles on them. The front still looks new, but the rear has started to show wear. It's now just starting to develop a flat spot in the center, but still looks pretty good. I think these Thick Brick's are very tough, good tires that will last a long time. The worst thing you can say about them is, they have a boring ribbed tread pattern.

I'll be changing to the Hookworm's soon though, before the start of the new riding season, which in Texas is about the end of February.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My Hookworm's are coming today. I hope I can get Buffy out of the house before they get here. She has this crazy idea I spend too much on my bike.