Brake Disc Question

GoldenMotor.com

haxing

Sep 12, 2009
California
where do i find a front wheel that has threads so i can use the brake disc conversion kit? or can i just get any rear wheel, remove the casette and use that as my front wheel for front disc brakes? is that even possible?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You can use a rear wheel if you mount the disc and caliper on the left fork.
The braking torque will tighten the adapter onto the hub threads instead of loosening them.

haxing

Sep 12, 2009
California
ahhh, i see. thats how its being done. and do i need a fork thats compatible for the brake disc aswell? i have no welding experience what so ever. and what is the best brake disc to buy? or the most working and popular?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your front fork will need to have caliper brackets. Either you'll need a new fork that has the brackets or you'll have to fabricate them yourself. There is also a clearance issue. Some forks will not allow enough space for the rotor to clear.

Tom

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
You must have a single speed rear wheel,not a multi speed.

And you need wide front forks. Chopper forks,monarch forks,and possibly some springer forks. 135mm spacing I believe.

And if you bought anything from chainganglowrider make sure and pay attention to the pics. They have the adaptor but not the rear wheel.

Cyclesus has the wheel adaptor and an adaptor for bikes without disc tabs. Works on the back of the frame and on the forks with some filing.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
You might go to bicycledesigner.com. They have a page of nothing but disc brake wheels. All sizes. And the adaptor as well.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That's what I was talking about. It should work if your forks are wide enough for the wheel. The curve shouldn't matter. The caliper should 'grab' in the same spot on the rotor.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Not unless you buy an actual front disc wheel. It would be cheaper to buy a front disc wheel and the custom cruiser forks" from chainganglowrider. Check out niagaracycles.com for the front wheel. Or maybe bikeman.com.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I believe you can convert a quick release to a threaded axle but yes,most of the ones I've seen(and currently use) are quick release.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
are the front disc wheels usually with quick release? can it just be the nut threaded one? i perfer that.
I was a bit skeptical about 'quick release' wheels at first too. I replaced the rims on my Schwinn Jaguar with heavy double wall rims with disc brake hubs. They came with quick release axles. I've put a little over 800 miles on the bike since the wheel change without a single problem. I do check the release levers often but never found anything loose. They are on both front and rear.

I am a firm supporter of forks with 'Lawyer Lips' however. Those are the little dishes and/or tabs that help prevent the wheel from coming out of the fork if the quick release or axle nuts get loose. A wheel would have to be very loose before it would fall off and hopefully before that you'd notice it and tighten things up.

Tom

haxing

Sep 12, 2009
California
I was a bit skeptical about 'quick release' wheels at first too. I replaced the rims on my Schwinn Jaguar with heavy double wall rims with disc brake hubs. They came with quick release axles. I've put a little over 800 miles on the bike since the wheel change without a single problem. I do check the release levers often but never found anything loose. They are on both front and rear.

I am a firm supporter of forks with 'Lawyer Lips' however. Those are the little dishes and/or tabs that help prevent the wheel from coming out of the fork if the quick release or axle nuts get loose. A wheel would have to be very loose before it would fall off and hopefully before that you'd notice it and tighten things up.

Tom
i always scared that my wheels would somehow unreleased themselves going at high speed then flip and die. lol. i always perfer threaded. just feel more safer.