Anyone put a monark fork on a Felt cruiser?

GoldenMotor.com

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
I want to retask my Monark fork to be used on my new (to me) Felt frame. Anyone know the how-tos on this? The stock Felt headset is for the Felt fork wish is a lot larger than the Monark. I set my Schwinn frame up with a threadless headset via creative use of spacers. Can I assume I can do the same with the Felt even though it is a much bigger size?

Also, if anyone knows the size of the Felt headset, I'd love to know without busting out the calipers...

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
1 1/8. And they make an adapter down to 1 inch for your headset. I have used them before and it should solve your problem. Or you can purchase the felt Abraham fork and use it, you won't have to worry about failure.

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
As a point of due diligence. If I was to purchase a Felt fork, would I have to go through the same welding nightmare to get it to play nice with my Worksman front drum?

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
I am curious to how you worked this out. I got the Monarch forks from Venice with those adapters, and they don't fit my Felt Twin. I also didn't realize that since they are threaded, and the stock Felt setup is threadless, I can't use my Felt stem now.

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
I got the spacers Norm linked above, but there isn't a 44mm 1" headset available. The Felt frame does mate with it, so I am getting a Felt fork... :-(

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
I'm still trying to figure out a way to use the Monarch's. There has to be a way! Are you getting a suspension fork? What kind of front brake?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm pretty sure the headset adapters Dave has are the same kind I use... :/

From what it sounds like?, Felt uses a different headset than other bikes??? (If so? I was unaware of this) :(

I need to check the Felts that I have & see if I can find something that will work.

Last edited:

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
I put one of the first ones out on my Whizzer frame. It was a no brainer swap, lucky me.
I bought it on ebay for $85. and it has not been welded up yet. That is a real issue with the power the bike makes and I want to race it.
Does anyone know if the new $179 one is really any better? I sure do like them new springs

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
Hey Norm- you never responded to my email or voicemail I left you about my forks not fitting my Felt Twin... I can confirm that the headset is different. I took it to two bike shops this weekend and they said this isn't going to work for me and the shims you told me to buy don't fit the Felt head tube. Felt uses an integrated headset, and the shims won't work on it. Can I return them since I can't use them?

-Kevin

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
I think I need to stick with the monarch I have. It has been splayed to accommodate the Phil Wood hub with a disc brake. It has custom made polished stainless steel links made by Phil Wood so I could mount the calipers. Interestingly, Monarch came out with there’re disc brake links right after Phil made mine. The guy that designed them was a bit hot under the collar about it. He said they were just a cheap copy of what he designed. It looks like that to me too. I think I’ll just get some of there’re new chrome springs.
I think my set up looks pretty nice, if I do say so myself, but it is just barely functional. Maybe those new springs would give it more travel and a better ride. It would do a lot for the look too. I was disappointed when my fork arrived and I saw those collapsed nickel plated springs but it was cool enough for me to move forward with my bike. It all cost an arm and a leg but I was still working then and it was all about the bike. It still is but at a much slower pace. I just love my hard tail flathead Whizzer. It doesn’t even have springs in the seat. What was I thinking with my bad back? Old school is what I was thinking.