NOS!! is it good for the 66cc engine ?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Those "novelty" NOS kits are comparatively unregulated dry injection through the intake manifold - which while they do function, they create a lean condition by displacing fuel/air charge as well as being unable to supply the additional fuel required, which negates much of the available "boost" from the NOS oxygenation process while also lessening the available lubrication.

So while they do work, they don't work very well. They're just toys that could damage your engine with repeated use & they're a far far cry from the proper wet injection NOS system you may be thinking of...

http://paultan.org/2006/02/23/how-does-nitrous-oxide-work/

Last edited:

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
All proper NOS systems should/do have a fuel enrichment to accompany the extra oxygen these systems inject. So, instead of burning up the top of pistons, and or valves ( 4 strokes ) the extra FUEL is burned instead. It is absolutely mandatory to have a way to add additional fuel when running nitrous.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
All proper NOS systems should/do have a fuel enrichment to accompany the extra oxygen these systems inject. So, instead of burning up the top of pistons, and or valves ( 4 strokes ) the extra FUEL is burned instead. It is absolutely mandatory to have a way to add additional fuel when running nitrous.
Unless the NOS kit has a provision for extra fuel, you are asking to shake piston bits out of your exhaust pipe. I've seen guys jet the engine blubbery fat to compensate, but then it runs like crap when not on the bottle so it's not worth it unless you only race.

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Unless the NOS kit has a provision for extra fuel, you are asking to shake piston bits out of your exhaust pipe. I've seen guys jet the engine blubbery fat to compensate, but then it runs like crap when not on the bottle so it's not worth it unless you only race.
Yep true that, that's why most proper systems have an extra fuel enrichment solinoid. That way when you "hit the button" NOS and fuel are injected together at the same time, and no extra fuel when not "on the bottle".

I used to dabble in a few NOS systems for my hot rods I would tinker with. And properly set up, they work well enough. It just got old always having to refill the bottle, if you use it enough it gets expensive pretty quick. I later started running an under the hood Weiand roots supercharger, and never looked back!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
NOs would be great fun on a chinagirl !!!

Good for it? Nah... No way.

But I can't think of any cheaper method to have fun playing with NOs!

You'll probably scatter a bunch of engines before you move on to something else. :)

Have fun!
rc

waistofhumanspace

Jan 8, 2011
michigan
The Nos works if all your using it for is to do wippit hits so that youl rush out when you hit the button ( hippy crack) I hear they sell it in balloons at Greatfull Dead & Fish shows.

Edd

Jan 25, 2012
Cypress, TX
I just had an idea. Install the NOS kit like normal, then route it through the air filter like Dave has it. Then, install a 'Y' or 'T' fitting on the fuel tank. On one end of the fitting, attach the fuel petcock, fuel filter, etc. (basically, route the fuel line to the carb like you normally would). On the other end, route a fuel line to a small fuel pump. Attach the other end to an intake manifold that has been tapped and has a fitting on it. Use a small battery to power the pump. Between the pump and the battery, wire a lever switch like this one: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_1846155_-1 Then mount the switch so that THE TIP OF THE LEVER RESTS BELOW THE NOS ACTIVATION LEVER. This is really important. Now, you ride around like normal, but when you hit the NOS lever, you push the lever switch automatically when you pushed the NOS lever (that's why the tip of the lever switch has to rest just under the NOS activation lever) and the pump activates to supply the extra fuel needed. Would this crazy scheme work!?

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
dont some carbs come with an "enrichment circuit" instead of a choke?

i think using it in conjunction with nos might solve the needed extra fuel while letting the engine work well while not suckin' the hippy gas

also i got a whipcream maker from a thrift store, i plan to diy a NOS setup, the cheapest part is the little canisters if u know where to buy. im going to follow this threaddnut