How to go legal in the UK?

GoldenMotor.com

peeckles

Aug 29, 2008
Hi newbie to the forum. Got a kit from ebay and got it all together but want to make it legal and want to know everything i need to do to it i think i know mostly from reading this article Golden Eagle cyclemotor but i foned footman james and they could'nt insure it would it be easier if it were registered would they be able to insure it just by registration plate number? any help greatly appreciated dont know if it can be done

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
My advice is dont bother.

I have ridden a 35mph capable Golden Eagle (I used to have the same kit as the one mentioned on NACC but it got nicked) for over 2 years around my town and nary a single problem apart from the odd idiot driver. I got pulled over once on a combination of 'I wanna look at her legs' and 'silly girl isnt wearing a helmet and doing 30mph round a roundabout'. They just let me get on with it after they'd had good look at me and the bike.

To go legal you'd have to get SVA - go through a shed load of useless information all for the priveledge of paying shed loads of insurance and most likely road tax for something that is merely a bike with a chainsaw or similar strapped to it. Its not worth the money, hassle and time.. not to mention the fact that the more people start registering these machines the more the govt is likely to kneejerk and ban them..

Jemma xx

peeckles

Aug 29, 2008
thanks for the reply yea i think i should wait and see what they say but what could they do as i dont have a bike licence could they take my car licence off me or do me for no insurance tax etc if they wanted ?

maxligema

Oct 5, 2008
i was wondering, is it necessary to have a motorbike license to ride these on the roads in the uk?

peeckles

Aug 29, 2008
im guessing so as ur meant to register it put plates on it and insure and tax it although by the looks of it its impossible to insure as i cant find anyone that insures such a thing