trickle charge system/circuit fo honda gx50 12v headlight

GoldenMotor.com

macAlpine

Sep 6, 2011
pittsfield mass
howdy folks. just spent 6 hrs. trying to figure out what to do: i want to make a circuit to charge a AA pack,probably 8 1.5v batteries wired in series or parrallel forget which, to get 12v dc output for a bloody headlight that will give above 1000 lumens, which i havent found yet.
as i understand the voltage that you can get from the hot wire where the oil alert was installed can give from 6-7 volts, dunno what watts. if i take that wire and run it through a zener diode (size dunno) i get me a little rectifier, to give me a pulsing dc current. so from there i get it to a voltage regulator, or was that the diode? next the battery pack. from there to my light i havent found or made yet!!!!

so if i get one 6v battery pack and wire it to the next in series(whichever steps up the volts) do i get 12 volts to use?
so the questions: will that work as specified?
am i missing something?
es what i am missing a step up converter?
who knows of a light that will fit the bill?

on ebay they sell a nice all steel 12v CEV moped light.

please electricians, help desperate honda owners sick of cheap plastic battery powered chinese headlight crap!!!
aka scotchmo,etc.:)
zpt

Last edited:

macAlpine

Sep 6, 2011
pittsfield mass
hmmm.
nobody yet. been looking around still, and i think its a good idea. only problem is charging over the voltage of the battery, which i think can happen because i've wired two packs in series. so each pack is 6 volts.
zpt

macAlpine

Sep 6, 2011
pittsfield mass
talking to myself

look what i found!

search this on ebay!!!
LM2587 DC-DC Converter Boost Step-Up Power Supply Module 3.5-30V to 4.0-30V

this unit makes me happy!
if i shove this thing into the line from my engine i get up to 30 volts on the other side!! perfect for charging the battery at up to 10 % more volts.
if i get my zener diode in line before this thing, i then run the input to this device, and from there to my battery, 12 volts. from there to that 12v 8w light.!!!

is anyone else but me excited about this?brnot

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
Re: talking to myself

look what i found!

search this on ebay!!!
LM2587 DC-DC Converter Boost Step-Up Power Supply Module 3.5-30V to 4.0-30V

this unit makes me happy!
if i shove this thing into the line from my engine i get up to 30 volts on the other side!! perfect for charging the battery at up to 10 % more volts.
if i get my zener diode in line before this thing, i then run the input to this device, and from there to my battery, 12 volts. from there to that 12v 8w light.!!!

is anyone else but me excited about this?brnot

Make sure you read the description closely...

•Continuous Current: 3A (ventilation and heat dissipation in good condition:Output voltage and input voltage ratio is not greater than 3)
If you want 12 volts, you better make sure the white wire is putting out 4 volts minimum.

Erich

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
hey erich,
thanks for the tip. the honda engine i'm using puts out 6-7 v continous, or i'd be stumped!
I missed where you mentioned what the white wire puts out. Sorry about that.

It sounds like that little boost up power supply will work!

Erich