Jackshaft disc-brake mod....when there is no other way....

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just a little how-to on adapting a disc-brake to your jackshaft if your options are limited. It starts like this...

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/img0802v.jpg/]
[/URL]

Ya gotta have a jackshaft for starters.......

dnut

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Next you fabricate a rotor of appropriate size and adapt it to the jackshaft.

Now comes the fun part, making a bracket for the caliper. The easiest way to go about this is place the caliper in an appropriate position on the rotor and tighten the pads to hold it on the rotor. Then you make a template of the bracket to be with some stiff cardboard and a pen. The bracket will support the caliper with two bolts and must be attached to the bike frame or in this case, the jackshaft bracket.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/img0804z.jpg/]
[/URL]

more to come...

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Very cool Scotto !! I bet we are going to see more of this.
Thanks, I think you're right chainmaker as it's a simple yet effective set-up when your options are limited.

Here is the bracket in rough form made from 1/4" aluminum plate. I'll be mounting it tomorrow with 3/4" threaded round stainless stand-offs.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/151/img0812gp.jpg/]
[/URL]

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Made the stand-offs today and cut the bracket to shape.....here's the mock-up with one more stand-off to install. Then finish the bracket, add lever and cable and put it to the test.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/img0817wu.jpg/]
[/URL]

dnut

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
OK, this is good. I have a Dynacraft West Coast LTD and I was wondering where to get the extra long brakearm brakes they come with but mine didn't :p I love this solution and I'll be getting the parts as soon as I sell 1 of the two bikes I'll have up for sale.

I'm looking around here for a machinest that will do work for free or real cheap, someone who likes to do projects more than make money. They are out there if you can find them and I'm a-lookin' ;)

I got one of the gokart halfshaft setups. I'm pretty sure your pillow blocks can handle higher loads but I think the gokart one will work out well, too.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I got it all bolted on for testing and everything lines up well and is looking good, here's some pics....

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/img0823me.jpg/]
[/URL]

not finished yet.......

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Took it for a test ride today and it worked very well. Now to take it apart, put the finishing touch on the bracket then loctite it all back together. Mission almost accomplished here.......a bit more to come.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Today I put the finishing touches on it and got it completely dialed in......it works verrrry well! One day in the near future I'll paint the bracket black.....it looks ok in raw aluminum for now....

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here are a few refinements to this brake set-up, most notably the little mod to the (now) one-finger brake lever.....this brake is a real stopper!

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/528/img0892u.jpg/]
[/URL]

see you up at the next stop light .wee.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Did you make that rotor out of a old chain ring ? good thinkin man .
Nice mod , awsome idea .
The rotor was made from a 28t cog that was part of a older chrome plated Shimano Hyper-Glide cassette.......works like a champ.

I've seen similar set-ups on scooters and go-karts in the past....AGK has been running them on bikes for a while now. It's great for when you have very limited rear wheel space and you want more than a coaster brake for rear stopping power and controllable modulation.

dnut

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Another route to go ( and they make these for motorcycles also ) is ,if your rear sprocket is big enough ( for the clearance ) , to use the rear wheels sprocket itself as the brake rotor ,
Just mount the caliper in the open area in front of the sprocket .

The thing i like about the sprocket-rotor setup is .. it looks cool .. its a clean setup .. less parts ( no need to add a rotor because the sprocket is the rotor )

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Another route to go ( and they make these for motorcycles also ) is ,if your rear sprocket is big enough ( for the clearance ) , to use the rear wheels sprocket itself as the brake rotor ,
Just mount the caliper in the open area in front of the sprocket .

The thing i like about the sprocket-rotor setup is .. it looks cool .. its a clean setup .. less parts ( no need to add a rotor because the sprocket is the rotor )
The only prob with that set-up in my application is my rear sprocket is 4.1mm thick.....I don't know of any bicycle disc-brake caliper that would accept that thickness. A caliper from a motorcycle may work, but the expense and weight would be considerably more I'm sure. Would make for a clean set-up though, I've seen them before.

dnut

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
The rotor was made from a 28t cog that was part of a older chrome plated Shimano Hyper-Glide cassette.......works like a champ.

I've seen similar set-ups on scooters and go-karts in the past....AGK has been running them on bikes for a while now. It's great for when you have very limited rear wheel space and you want more than a coaster brake for rear stopping power and controllable modulation.

dnut
Looks great man and I wouldnt have guessed that the rotor was from a cassette.
Where did you get the locking collar that the rotor mounts onto?
Thx

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Looks great man and I wouldnt have guessed that the rotor was from a cassette.
Where did you get the locking collar that the rotor mounts onto?
Thx
The locking collar is the center part of the Congress V-pulley (pictured) that was in my never ending parts pile in my garage. They're cheap to buy new however, but I like using stuff I have lying around :D

simple, yet effective.....

dnut