drum or disc

GoldenMotor.com

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
I am having trouble deciding if i should go with a 90mm sturmey drum brake on my front end or if i should do a avid bb7. I currently have a 70mm drum in front and back and i feel like i need a little more power. Ive had a few too many close calls.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While drum brakes combine good ascetics for somethin' like a boardtracker or vintage bike with ease of conversion and very low maintenance - they jus' cant compete in stopping power w/disks. While I do love my Sturmey drums, they're not quite as effective as typical V brakes... although I gotta say they don't have a problem w/rain & ice lol

So yea, if ya don't mind the conversion process (new frnt hub, caliper mounts), I'd defo say go w/disks ;)

Dr. Bob

Jul 7, 2011
Chicago
Help needed with Rear Tire!

I need to replace the tube on my rear tire. The problem is taking off the rear tire, how do I do that?

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
i guess disc is the way to go. The drum would have been much cheaper and a better look for my build but i have to stop lol. I was hoping the large drum would do it. I've seen a lot mountain riders trusting them for muddy endurance races. A hydraulic drum would be nice.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
OP, I have a setup similar to yours, Sturmey X-FDD and X-RD3. I'm 230lbs and the 70mm brakes have trouble if I'm trying to stop going downhill. The 70mm simply isn't up to par for going over 20MPH. Unfortunately, there's no way to attach a disc to the hubs that I can see.

I like my wheels and hubs despite their weak braking and limited gear selection, so I'm not replacing them. What I'm doing for a brake upgrade is installing v-brakes and R/L-specific dual-pull levers. My fork has V-brake posts, but I have to use an adapter on the rear. Going the 4-brake route!

I am having trouble deciding if i should go with a 90mm sturmey drum brake on my front end or if i should do a avid bb7. I currently have a 70mm drum in front and back and i feel like i need a little more power. Ive had a few too many close calls.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
i got a set of disk breaks(front and rear) for $50.. and even they are alot better then my tectro v brakes that came on my bike.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
That's all fine and dandy. But one must have disc brake hubs to use disc brakes.
I've put over 100k miles on pedal bikes and find v-brakes to be adequate. Discs are a dream for me lol
my v breaks never failed me.. and if your bike is not set up for disk, then its will coast a good deal to put them on for sure. my bike brand new came with v breaks but was also set up for disk.(hubs and mounts)

i used the v breaks for a long time and never had a real problem. but i dont like the way it wars on your rim. it looks ugly on a newer bike.. i got new wheels after my n-360 failed. and got ones for disk only. so im stuck with disk now.lol

for a short time i had the duel puller to my front and back v breaks and it was nice. id go with that if you are using v breaks. much more power and frees up some room.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I used V brakes and my riding style had smoke coming off the pads at times no joke. A new set of pads lasted me a week tops. My Disk breaks were awesome. I only use 203mm size rotors tho. They always worked absolutely perfect for me and the shoes were lasting me an average of 2000 miles or better! My mechanical Avid BB7's rock. I use Hayes Hydro's 203 mm rotors as well loved them!

There will no doubt be mixed reviews from folks using rotors too small for their riding style I think.

I averaged a minimum of about 3000 miles a year pure peddling till this last couple of years. V brakes were perfect for my peddle bikes.

To play with my hot rodded China's and Morini's NO WAY !!

I have never tried any of the drum brakes don't know much about them.

http://motorbicycling.com/f53/good-brakes-22610.html

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
That's all fine and dandy. But one must have disc brake hubs to use disc brakes.
I've put over 100k miles on pedal bikes and find v-brakes to be adequate. Discs are a dream for me lol
im building a new set of wheels on some 36hole halo freedom disc rims so no chance of rim brakes for me. Im still super tempted to do a drum. The look of the deep v rim and high flang hub will look soo cool.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Don't want to start a new thread but this looks like a good fit. Son is really getting into this and I'm slowly building up myself. Brakes have always been a problem for me because of my weight. I want to go coaster with drum front because it keeps the handlebar area pretty clean.And I could definitely lace me up a wheel. It's really not that hard and when you do so well you have just become an Ace bike mechanic,ya know?
So I was looking for drum hubs 36 hole then I run into this:

Amazon.com: Shimano Nexave BR-IM45 Front Roller Brake: Sports & Outdoors

I'm intrigued because of the price and also because it looks like you just slip it on to the side of your front wheel then you are all set. No wheel lacing.
Anyone's tried this? Do they work pretty well? How about wear and tear?
It would really save me having to lace and I could toss one at my son. He wants as little help from me as possible (Even though he has picked up a ton of info from me when he built his 2 stroke. Heh.)

Here's another one that looks pretty okay.

Amazon.com: Shimano Nexave Roller Brake - Front: Sports & Outdoors

What do y'all think?

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
THANKS! I'm looking all over for instructions to no avail. It looked like from the pics that it relied on the spokes to keep it all together. And yes the small brake area seems too little. Looks like I'm gonna be lacing!

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
The discussion of brakes on bicycles usually ends with disc brakes but I see very little discussion on the MB forums of the torsional flexing of on cheaper model bikes and front forks with discs like I do on mountain biking sites.
There is significant asymmetrical loading on fork blades using one rotor which can create torque steer. Some bike makers have addressed this by designing forks from the ground up as a disc brake fork, asymmetrical to eliminate torque steer from the disc brake. The left blade is much stiffer than the right blade.

tout-fork-front.jpg