???preformace options???

GoldenMotor.com

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
i know most of the options out there fr increasing hp and increasing it for a short time like (nos) but can some fill me in on some more to add to the list if i missed any

2 stroke motor

big bore kit/bore it out
performance flywheel or rods and piston
increase head comp.
a good expansion chamber
high cfm carb
(does not increase hp but can allow you to get to a higher rpm faster)
better CID box
better or bigger spark plug wire
better spark plug (more efficient spark plug)
better air filter or velocity stack
nos
boost bottles (thing lol)
race fuel including alcohol and nitro

any thing more????

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
well i am not really planing on modifying one as of this second i am gonna buy a new kit soon and i have a spare old Tecumseh 2 stroke true 96cc 5hp motor very tuned down i want to mod to get more power its of great construction and power it needs a carb cleaning but with that said it still runs great start right up revs in the 8000's you can tell its got a flywheel with the cooling fins you can listen to the thing and set you watch by it lol

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
The answer is complicated and probably not what you want to hear.

If you want heart stopping performance and more power than you know what to do with, buy a Morini S6S, get it custom mounted to a frame, and away you go. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

If you want something fun to play around with that will carry you around at about 30 mph, a chinese bicycle motor will do just fine. But after swapping out the cylinder, piston, head, and probably crankshaft for Puch parts, swapping the carb for a Dellorto, getting custom exhaust fabricated, a shift kit to take advantage of all that extra power, and totally redesigning the clutch to handle all that extra torque, you'll probably be at least a grand in the hole, if not more.

There's a lot you can do with a stock motor to improve performance and reliability. read up on 2 stroke tuning and port matching first.

And please PLEASE remember what a comma and a period are for. Makes it easier to answer people's questions when you can read them on the first try.

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
Well, sorry for the punctuation I didn't know you guys loved English so much.
I guess you have talked me out of messing a ton with a bike engine kit but I may do a diy one with the 96cc 2 stroke 5 hp I got it has a 4 stroke style factory exhaust piece of crap. What do you guys think of that on a bike too much or what it has tons of power? It was a snow blower motor so I could be wrong they produced a bigger one 197cc or 100cc bigger with the same size motor need to do more research.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Your post seemed to focus primarily on power enhancing techniques BUT I believe the best "bang for the buck" speed wise would be to go with a smaller rear sprocket.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Racing fan.....
While all this back and forth b.s. goes on and on about your upcoming build,
I can't help but to wonder about a few things, so I have a few questions for you that maybe you could answer. I want to help us all try to understand where you're going with this thing.

1) What kind of budget are you working with for your bike?

2) What is your level of mechanical ability? Do you have access to a shop with tools, welder, etc...etc ?

3) Do you already know a lot or a little about fabricating with metal or is this a new learning experience?

4)How much do you know about 2 strokes.?

5) How about bicycles, do you ride? Do you know how to work on and repair
everything that is "bicycle"?

This hobby is all about having fun and building something that is unique that you created with your own hands
It can be frustrating at times because most builds require thinking, building, re-thinking, rebuilding... because some things you do work out, and other things you'll find don't work out and you need to change them.

You also have to remember that you are building a bicycle for Pete's sake.
These things were never designed to go very fast and overpowering one can be quite dangerous if done incorrectly.

If you want a motorized bike build one, but do it within your means.
If you think it's a high powered motorcycle. it's not, and won't ever be.

Think about what you want, what you're capable of, and what you can afford.

Until you do,.... talking about it doesn't get it done.

TiM

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
well the motor i want to mess with is ready 5 hp so if i could fab a expansion chamber i will get like 6.5 hp out of it because the exhaust right now is restrictive i get a good one i get my old hp back and some more i don't want more than 7hp

I ride bikes every day on and off road all styles too bmx,mt,cruzer (banana bike)

I got pretty good skill I can weld good on all common metals including aluminum

I have rebuilt many 2 and 4 stroke motors and fixed them when needed

i never made a expansion chamber before but i have made mini bikes and go karts in my spare time

i have like 250 for this motor and like 100 for gears and stuff to get the bike
to move

i got a old 70's bmx bike its solid and heavy i have got it up to 48mph before going down a super steep hill on mackinaw island (hand held gps) the bike held together fine no handling problems at all

i know motor bikes aren't super powerful and cant hold up to it but i have seen some that put like 9 hp morini motors on

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
You got some good advice from timboellner, worth reviewing again, and I think if you check closely you'll see the folks using 9 hp engines are seasoned builders with race bikes who worked the learning curve and made their mistakes first with much smaller engines. Besides, no state regs that I know allow that kind of hp.

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
Yea they don't, but this motor is so small and has no tags on it it looks 50cc and I spent hrs. on the computer just to find the hp so I think I could get away with it.
I will just spent the money on a grubee kit.

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
well i got to get it soon and i am repairing 2 race boats and getting motors for them i don't have the time right now in a month yes now no like i said i will just buy a grubee kit and have fun for a while

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I will tell you this. DO NOT buy from kingsmotorbikes or gasbike. They are the same company, and the biggest supplier of grubee kits. They also happen to SUCK at customer service. If you want a grubee kit, find another supplier. Or do some research and look at the different kits available. Their are quite a few suppliers out there, and quite a few different brands of engines available. As far as the mods go, be careful. When you make ANY modification to a kit motor, you void the warranty. Also, when it comes to these engines, forget most of what you know about two strokes. While they may operate the same as any other two stroke, they are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. Why do you think you can get the whole kit for $150?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Send an email to all the dealers here and on eBay. Make your decision on who answers and who don't. Give then a few days to get back, 3 at the most, with preference to those that answer right back.

If they will talk to you before a sale then most likely you will be able to deal with them later if a problem pops up.

The aftermarket dealers like Pirate and Sick Bike Parts will answer you right back. I don't really know about others. boygofast on eBay will, too. When I had a problem with a BGF motor I talked to Ricky Shi on the phone. He got the problem solved.