The total package inquiry

GoldenMotor.com

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
I'm looking to install a headlight with hi/lo beams and motorcycle style turn signals aiming front and back as well as a brake light thats activated when i pull my brake handle. i was going to go with a motorcycle style handlebar mouted switch combo with a horn as well. my question was what do i have to get hooked to my 80cc engine to protect it from blowing the bulbs or stalling the engine? what would the schematic look like? i see they have some kind of 12v generating magneto thing on ebay. is that what i need? do i need a battery inserted somewhere in the mix to stabilize the current? is it possible or does my engine not produce enough current to do all that? I see they have a headlightbrake light package on ebay but i want a brake light that lights up even brighter when i pull the brakes. how do i manage that? will getting smaller voltage lights perhaps 6volts on a 12volt generator magneto whatever fix me up? you'd think i'd know having gone thru a few years of electrical wiring training in tech school but they didn't teach me a damn thing unfortunatelty. I know search is my friend and i've been looking but before i start ressurecting dead threads i thought i'd put the question out there.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I ride a lot in the dark and built my own 12v system. I've got a head light, tail light, brake lights, turn signals and hazard flashers. I don't have an on board charging system, just 12ah's of AGM's. I started with a 20w, then a 35w and now a 55w halogen headlight. The 55w is by far the best but it's a battery hog, giving me only 84 minutes of operation. Going to an LED headlight would help greatly but I haven't found one with the necessary lumen output to match the halogen. I just keep looking though.

greentek

Mar 8, 2011
Victorville, California
I have seen on this forum topics about lights since day one, No one seems to have the perfect set up. I have been working secretly on a full light kit.. That is a clean set up and has it all, super brite head lights tail lights and with brake lights when you press your brakes, and brite turn signal lights. When Im done I will post pictures for you. The nice thing about it is it is always charging the batteries when the engine is running and it will light up with the engine off for hours. And it does not use the old school heavy lead acid gel battery. This is new school its all about less lbs, and last a long time. To be able to produce high briteness with less power and price. When I get the pics I will show you the complete set up hopefully soon. Again I have done a lot of research to develope this set up.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I have a Honda so, (1) I have no generator possibilities at this time, and (2) I will have enough clutter with brake, throttle, shifter, tach, speedo, and temp. I was going to use an old Schwinn tailite/brakelite that uses a ball bearing that rolls forward under braking to light the brakelite, but am looking to use this instead.
Maxxon WIRELESS Bike Brake Light - for all bicycles | eBay

For turn signals:Wireless Bicycle Brake Light for Mountain Bikes, City Bike Carriers, and Dynamo Bicycles I think they will work with the throttle I am going to use, an internal bar style for a Honda Trail.

There are some pretty powerful LED bulbs now, and they can be retrofitted into a traditional light if you wish, and battery operated. The MTB people have some very powerful battery power LED lights for downhilling, expensive though.

For myself, I don't want anymore wireing than is necessary hanging off my bike. Will probably remove the gauges after I know whats happening and am comfortable with it.

Last edited:

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Thanks Prof. It's one thing to see the advertisment, another to see a recomendation from someone who is using the product.

I've been into Muscle cars and Street Rods, and am moving with caution with my build, putting in things that may not be needed by law, but good safety ideas. Although with motorbikes, injuries may be more self induced, with bikes in general I think our sharing the road with people with their heads up their a$$ and surrounded by metal, we need to be as easy to see as possible. One of the people in my small circle of friends got knocked off his bike and the person never stopped to see if he was OK. Bruised, but not broken, he was able to ride home. I want for everyone to be as lucky as he.
Have fun

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
I saw a setup put together by an aussie guy on one of these forums with some sort of schematic. i'm not sure how to trigger a brake light to go even brighter when i pull the brake or where or which relay to get and whatnot. i thought to get an electric motor as well for downtown driving and i could hook a solar panel up to charge the 12v 18amp batterys up and pull power off them perhaps to help from draining the gas motors power. maybe i just need to pull all the electric system off a moped and hook it to my bike. would that work?

greentek

Mar 8, 2011
Victorville, California
The China Motors have 3 wires black, blue, White and give off the white and black wire 6- 8 volts AC @ 500mah. That is half of one amp or .5 amps. Also it needs to be changed to DC volts with a RECTIFIER, DIODES RESISTERS, IT NEEDS A circuit. So it can charge a 3.7 volt lithium Ion battery just right. These batteries peak out at 4.2 volts dc and if you hook them in parallel + to +, - to - the volt stays the same but the amps double or add up. So if you have a 2000 miliamp 3.7 v lith Ion battery times 4 in parallel this would be 2000 x 4 = 8000 miliamps which could give you about 2-8 hours of light at 5 to 10 watts of nice led high power lights, light up the road real good including tail brake and turn signals and horn. And the .5 amps charging will keep it going longer. So my research shows that you might not need to charge the batteries, and if you do you can charge at .5 for 30 minutes to an hour plus to peak out the batteries. So I am working on a kit to do this, hope to get it done soon to share this in the forum with pics. Till then I am working on it. Check back soon for the follow up details. Thanx