Wheels for the next project

GoldenMotor.com
Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Need help with my next build. I'm wanting to build a bobber/racer kind of bike and I'd like to put some tires on it with some consistency to them. Something like a set of Thick Bricks or something. I'm thinking 24x3 or close to that. Either black or black/whitewalls. I have a drum brake that I want to use and I'd need to purchase both the front and rear wheels. What sizes fit best on these tires and who has just the rims so I can have the drum brake installed without the additional cost of re-spoking the rim? I'd like to buy the rear coaster wheel assembled and then get the matching front rim (to be laced onto my drum brake). I checked out the Felt site and they offer the wheels but not the rims individually.

Anyone else have a source for these items? Any help is appreciated.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
There seems to be a bit of a glut on this information...

or,

I've ethically, racially, emotionally (and probably religiously) offended EVERY one of the 84 viewers of this thread! :D

I doubt that is the case though.

ANY info? The sound of crickets chirping is getting unbearable...

:-||

motorbike

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Worksman will sell you complete wheels, or all the seperate parts. they use 11g. spokes which are super thick, and an awesome clincher rim. arguably the best wheels on the market for us.

a complete set with a front drum and a rear shimano coaster already built is around 200 bucks.

stainless spokes and aluminum rims cost a little extra.

if you want to use your drum hub, you'd probably have to drill it for 11g spokes, which is no big deal, i do it all the time, and either lace it yourself or take it to a bikeshop.

check out worksmancycles.com

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
and..

i use Kenda Kiniption tires. i have a 24" with 24x2.3 and 26"ers with 26x2.3

they're not as wide as thick bricks, but they're wider than the average cruiser tire, plus they're rounded, with bead-to-bead tread.

here's a pic of how my 24" worksman wheel and Kenda Kiniption tire look:

Attachments

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
and..

i use Kenda Kiniption tires. i have a 24" with 24x2.3 and 26"ers with 26x2.3

they're not as wide as thick bricks, but they're wider than the average cruiser tire, plus they're rounded, with bead-to-bead tread.

here's a pic of how my 24" worksman wheel and Kenda Kiniption tire look:
How do you like the Kenda Kiniptions? I just put a set on my bike today.One glance at your photo and I was..like ..hey wait a minute those are kiniptions

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i love 'em. they grip awesome, they look awesome, and they wear down... uh, pretty fast. i've been through 3 rear tires in a year.

they're cheap, though. i think ebikestop has them for 20 something a piece.

i love the rounded look of them. makes 'em look different than the crappy duro or cheng shin cruiser tire, and more like a motorcycle tire.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Thanks Bairdco. They do look pretty cool. I'll do some checking around for them. Do you just order them online?

I've also been toying with a set of those sulky racer tires on it -- possibly. I definitely want to go with a different look on this one.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Bairdco,
I just saw a set of the 24" Kenda Kiniptions the other day at the LBS and was impressed with them. Because of the full bead to bead tread and lack of manufacturer info on the side walls I could not figure out what brand they were. Now I know and also know what they would look like on a vintage build. Thanks!

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009