BRIGHT lighting system idea

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What a fortuitous topic for me just now...
I finally have all the pieces and $ to get this NuVinci Dev Kit hub on my bike, the wheel goes to the shop tomorrow to get laced in.

It needs 12V and I have this new SLA battery.

Nominal Voltage . . . . . 12.0 v
NominalCapacity . . . . . 4.5 Ah, 4500 mAh
Max.Charging current . .. 1.35 A
Max.Discharging current . 67.5 A max
Dimensions 90mm(3.55") x 70mm(2.76") x 101mm(3.98") (LxWxH)
Weight . . 4 lb (1814 g)
Terminal . T1
$16 +SH

And got in this little 12V 6W 'tire rub' generator to put on the bike so it is time for little engineering for the Gen drive.

That little plastic 'rub gear' is 2cm in diameter, and the shaft to mount it on just 3mm to hold the 'gear' with the nut on flush with the end of the shaft.

Like you I have heard trying to run it rubbing against a 26" wheel at 40 MPH will toast it. Make sense since 15 MPH is about all I figure they are made to handle.

That means a gear reduction on the Gen, be that rubbing it against a small disc like the size of a disc brake disc or making the 'rub wheel' a lot bigger.

What do you think about putting a derailer gear on it and putting it in-line with the chain drive?

Those little gears are about the same size and I think wouldn't help much on a direct drive system as the chain is geared for reduction at the wheel, but I'm jackshafting and going the other way.

Thoughts?

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
What a fortuitous topic for me just now...
I finally have all the pieces and $ to get this NuVinci Dev Kit hub on my bike, the wheel goes to the shop tomorrow to get laced in.

It needs 12V and I have this new SLA battery.

Nominal Voltage . . . . . 12.0 v
NominalCapacity . . . . . 4.5 Ah, 4500 mAh
Max.Charging current . .. 1.35 A
Max.Discharging current . 67.5 A max
Dimensions 90mm(3.55") x 70mm(2.76") x 101mm(3.98") (LxWxH)
Weight . . 4 lb (1814 g)
Terminal . T1
$16 +SH

And got in this little 12V 6W 'tire rub' generator to put on the bike so it is time for little engineering for the Gen drive.

That little plastic 'rub gear' is 2cm in diameter, and the shaft to mount it on just 3mm to hold the 'gear' with the nut on flush with the end of the shaft.

Like you I have heard trying to run it rubbing against a 26" wheel at 40 MPH will toast it. Make sense since 15 MPH is about all I figure they are made to handle.

That means a gear reduction on the Gen, be that rubbing it against a small disc like the size of a disc brake disc or making the 'rub wheel' a lot bigger.

What do you think about putting a derailer gear on it and putting it in-line with the chain drive?

Those little gears are about the same size and I think wouldn't help much on a direct drive system as the chain is geared for reduction at the wheel, but I'm jackshafting and going the other way.

Thoughts?
Maybe if you get a little gear like you said, but make the spokes of the front wheel turn the gear, if you can somehow mount it.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I've actually had great luck with the tire generator and battery.

I've put well over a thousand miles on it.

Get yourself a one-inch washer and throw away the plastic roller.

Sandwich the washer between two nuts and crip the outer nut to make it permanent.

Get an old round handle bar grip and slice a chunk about 3/8 to 1/4 inch thick.

Carefully use an exact-o type knife and create a groove right inside the middle of the inner surface to hold onto the washer.

Carry a few extra rubber rollers parts in case you lose one. I've not lost one yet, although a couple times the roller came off the washer and ended up around the generator neck.

I've worn out two rubber rollers in the course of the mileage.

What happens is that the rpms are cut in half approximately, and the rubber part will slip around the washer.

Using the 12v generator, I split the AC into two legs. One goes to a pair of cree leds, the other runs through a wireless phone battery and then to some led marker lights and to another pair of low powered 'always on' led headlights. The crees are only on while in motion. The high powered light are direct connected without resistors, and the battery leg goes through a diode and 5-volt regulator with small heat sink. The battery is a 4.8 volt phone battery, and the marker/running lights the typical radio-shack super-brights with proper resistor for a 5 volt rail. The phone battery wired in parallel, as I recall, and only needs about 50 yards to develop enough charge to light me up from complete dead. Since the batteries are very small, 4X1.2 volts, they only hold enough practical red-light-stop reserve for 10-15 minutes. Of course the crees strobe at a high frequency and fire as soon as the tire rolls.

The best thing about my electrical is that I have a small white led on the handle bars to light up my speedo and electronic engine tach during the night rides.

If you have a hankerin' to try the tire gen, get rid of the small roller and go for it!

... didnt realize the post was goina be so long... .bf.

Last edited: