Marylander's East Coast Rally Sept 18-19,2010

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
How many Marylander's, Northern Virginian's, and Washingtonians planning on attending the 2010 East Coast Motorized Bicycle Rally at Cape Henlopen State Sea Shore Park it's couple of miles up the beach from Rehobeth Beach, Delaware.

I hope to see some Local Metropolitan Washington, D.C. area motorized bicyclist's at this years Rally!

Peace Crazy Horse.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
I am planning to attend. I live in McLean, VA.

I would like to meet some other MBers in the DC metro area and perhaps go on a local ride together. Anyone have any interest?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm planning to be there. Leaving Minnesota the weekend before the rally in order to be ready to ride in Delaware!
Virginian, yes, I'd be interested in a group ride in the DC area. Ever been to Colorfest in Thurmont, Maryland? Awesome countryside, state park to ride and camp in. I don't recall just when it is, but Crazy Horse would know. Tinsmith lives in the area and would be interested, I'm sure. Maybe some of the Pennsylvania boys would come down. We also have some riders over in Baltimore. Fall is a great time to ride...
SB

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
SB, Probably won't make it to the rally. We are travelling a lot in September. Colorfest in Thurmont is the 2nd weekend in October. Got my sprocket and adapter from Justin today. Look real nice. Great service from Pirate. Hope to tack weld the frame modifications together soon, then fabricate a motor mount now that I can see where the chain wil have to go. Then the gas tank. Have a new idea on a gas tank I'll run by you later. Hope to see you soon. Dan

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
For those of you that are coming and are first timers to the 3rd Annual East Coast Motorized Bicycle Rally, here are a few things that you can do while attending & visiting the Cape Henlopen State Park, and or Rehobeth Beach, Delaware.

1. Visit Historic Cape Henlopen and tour the Fort Miles Gun Battery by lantern light with an historical interpreter. Hear some of the true stories and learn how Fort Miles defended our coast 24/7 during World War II.

During World War II, the Delaware River was a chief priority for defense planners because of the access it afforded to the giant trade centers of Wilmington, Philadelphia, and beyond. Fort Miles, located in what is now Cape Henlopen State Park, was a key piece in the nation's coastal defense at that time.

With the onset of World War II, the U.S. Army established a military base at Cape Henlopen in 1941. Bunkers and gun emplacements were camouflaged among the dunes, and concrete observation towers were built along the coast to spot enemy ships.

The heavy guns, mine fields and searchlights of Fort Miles provided in-depth defense; however, the growing use of long-range missiles brought an end to harbor defenses in the United States. By 1958, Fort Miles was no longer important to the defense of the region, and in 1964, 543 acres of the base were returned to the State of Delaware, forming the heart of Cape Henlopen State Park. In April, 2005, Fort Miles was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Yes you can climb the World War II observation towers and tour the bunkers & gun embankments.

2. Ride to the other two local Beaches & stroll their Boardwalks,
1. Lewes Beach, Delaware or
2. Rehobeth Beach, Delaware both beaches are a 5-10 min ride from Cape Henlopen.

Peace Crazy Horse.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Crazy Horse, I'm one of the volunteers (reenactor) at Fort Miles. I can try to arrange a special tour of Battery 519 for the group if there is enough interest. One of the rides I was planning for this rally was an in-park ride to check out the historic sites (as well as take in the natural beauty of the park), from the observation tower that is open to the public to a tour of the Fort Miles Historic Site, to Battery Herring at the south end of the park.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Crazy Horse, I'm one of the volunteers (reenactor) at Fort Miles. I can try to arrange a special tour of Battery 519 for the group if there is enough interest. One of the rides I was planning for this rally was an in-park ride to check out the historic sites (as well as take in the natural beauty of the park), from the observation tower that is open to the public to a tour of the Fort Miles Historic Site, to Battery Herring at the south end of the park.
Sounds interesting...
SB

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
It would be great to take the Tour this year I missed it Last year.

But I did get a Cape Henlopen Pirates Long Sleeve T-shirt, my wife claimed it soon as I got home!

Peace Crazy Horse!

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Only (10) ten more days to the Great East Coast Motorized Bicycle Rally.

East Coast Rally Sept 18-19,2010 Cape Henlopen State Sea Shore Park, Lewes, delaware, it's just couple miles north of Rehobeth Beach, Delaware

Looking forward to seeing all the new Builds & Builders, see you there!

Peace Crazy Horse.

P.S. Here's the google satellite map:
map of cape henlopen state park Delaware - Google Maps

For those of you whom have never been to Cape Henlopen State Park it's beautiful, and sometimes the weather is nice enough to actually swim in the ocean this time of year, plus there's Rehobeth Beach, Delaware which has an amazing Boardwalk to Boot and it's just a couple of miles south of Cape Henlopen, Delaware.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Only (10) ten more days to the Great East Coast Motorized Bicycle Rally.

East Coast Rally Sept 18-19,2010 Cape Henlopen State Sea Shore Park, Lewes, delaware, it's just couple miles north of Rehobeth Beach, Delaware

Looking forward to seeing all the new Builds & Builders, see you there!

Peace Crazy Horse.

P.S. Here's the google satellite map:
map of cape henlopen state park Delaware - Google Maps

For those of you whom have never been to Cape Henlopen State Park it's beautiful, and sometimes the weather is nice enough to actually swim in the ocean this time of year, plus there's Rehobeth Beach, Delaware which has an amazing Boardwalk to Boot and it's just a couple of miles south of Cape Henlopen, Delaware.
I've posted a map to the meeting place in the park. It's on the Cape Henlopen thread: http://motorbicycling.com/f35/cape-henlopen-lewes-de-rally-sept-21297-3.html#post216084
KilroyCD, thanks for the Link!

I see in your post of the Cape Henlopen State Park map that we will have the same area in the park as last year!! Cool...

I was hoping to attract as many motorized bicyclist's as possible, from the Northern Virginia, Washington, D.C. & Suburban Maryland area's with this separate post about the 3rd. Annual East Coast Motorized Bicycle Rally on Saturday September 18 & Sunday September 19, 2010.

I have posted a Link showing the Map for greater Lewes, Delaware & Rehobeth Beach, Delaware, thereby giving others a better idea as to the Location of the rally in relation to the local Beaches.

This is the same weekend for DelMarVa Bike Week, lot of events going on just 15-20 miles south of Lewes, Delaware in Ocean City, Maryland here's the link:
Delmarva Bike Week

FYI-Click on the Link in my quoted post to see the Google map of the entire Cape Henlopen & Rehobeth Beach, Delaware area's.

Peace Crazy Horse.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Hi Crazy Horse,
I really appreciate you trying to attract more riders, especially from the DC, northern VA and MD area. Last night I did look at the link you posted, but for some reason Google Maps was running like it was mired in molasses. Tonight it's working fine, and once you zoom in you can easily find how to get there.
Wouldn't it be cool if we decided to rumble on into Ocean City for Bike Week? However, the last thing I'd want to do is ride a MB on Route 1 with the 60mph traffic coming up behind me.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I'm up for a ride in the Catoctins in October, assuming the bike is running. Straight shot up 270/15 in the back of the truck with some tie down rope should get me there.

Lewes or OC bike week sounds fun but no can do.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm up for a ride in the Catoctins in October, assuming the bike is running. Straight shot up 270/15 in the back of the truck with some tie down rope should get me there.

Lewes or OC bike week sounds fun but no can do.
I can't make it to the Delaware rally either, much as I wanted to. I will be back in Maryland in October, however, and it sounds like Octoberfest might be an opportunity for a mini rally in the Catoctins. Tinsmith is in the area and I live near Thurmont. Crazy Horse says he and his wife come to Octoberfest. Sounds like somthin' to me. Second weekend in October I understand.
Hey, all you guys who are going to Delaware... have a really great time!
SB

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
He guys, I just want to let you know that Delaware has a helmet law. It's kind of wierd though. The way I understand it is you don't have to wear the helmet, but if you aren't wearing it the helmet must be carried along on the bike.