Good Mountain Bike Frame Under $100

GoldenMotor.com

Brent436

Feb 14, 2010
Massachusetts
Hey guys,

Just wondering if theres anywhere online that i could order a few mountain bikes that have the top tube that doesnt slant downwards. I dont really wanna build a cruiser so im looking for another couple mountain bikes with the top tube that goes straight across. If you happen to know anywhere that has these bikes where the motors will fit fairly easily just let me know. Thanks in advance for all your input!

-Brent

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Roadmaster Mountain, $75 delivered and it has a front shock.
Not tried one yet, but for that price I can roll the dice.
I am thinking it might be a good base to trike, but that is another topic.

the42ndoffense

Jun 17, 2010
Space
The 26 inch roadmaster from wal-mart leaves VERY little room for the carb, even with the MM intake, or the regular intake upside down. you'll need longer front motor mounts also. id adive against it.

Brent436

Feb 14, 2010
Massachusetts
I already went to my local walmart and looked at the roadmaster. Its unfortunately too small of a frame to fit the motor with the top tube slanting down like that. Thats actually how i discovered i needed a frame that doesnt slant down. My current motorbike has the top tube that doesnt slant downward at all and its very roomy for the motor haha. I just cant find any new bikes with that design style. That Kawasaki looks like it has enough room so maybe ill look into that one since its not too much more than $100. Any more suggestions would still be appreciated though. Thanks for the input!

-Brent

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Check craigslist for older mountain bikes. I've got an old pair of Schwinns that have straight top tubes. My High Plains model has a short seat tube but the Woodlands has enough room in the frame for two motors. lol

Not mine but you get the idea.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Or keep your eyes peeled for an old Miyata "Beach Runner".....I've got one and it looks almost identical
to Kevlarr's "Woodlands". It would fit two engines easily.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I already went to my local walmart and looked at the roadmaster. Its unfortunately too small of a frame to fit the motor with the top tube slanting down like that. -Brent
The bikes in the store are the Medium size.
You can get only get the 22 size on-line. It looks big enough and as mentioned has shocks though not much travel on them. A regular used mountain bike for ~$100 as mentioned in a post above would work, and ya, enough room for two motors in there hehehe.

I think if I wanted to build a mountain bike I'd try the $160 Schwinn Sidewinder.

Again, they have the largest model on-line and deliver free.
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but without front shocks it just doesn't say mountain bike to me ;-}

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Check craigslist for older mountain bikes. I've got an old pair of Schwinns that have straight top tubes. My High Plains model has a short seat tube but the Woodlands has enough room in the frame for two motors. lol
I agree. You can buy an older "premium" bicycle for as much as a crudely made brand new wal-mart or target brand. They're lighter, better designed and componets are higher quality which matters once you mount a (((vibrating)) engine which will shake everything off that frame in time, faster on cheaper frames.

Buy a nicer older bike off craigslist or goodwill- support your local economy. Big chains don't need your money-

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I looked at a Huffy Savannah a while back. Walmart had them on sale for $75 but I see they're at $90 now. Seemed like a reasonably built 700c hybrid. Not particularly beefy, but the frame is steel and there's tons of room for a motor.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I agree. You can buy an older "premium" bicycle for as much as a crudely made brand new wal-mart or target brand. They're lighter, better designed and componets are higher quality which matters once you mount a (((vibrating)) engine which will shake everything off that frame in time, faster on cheaper frames.

Buy a nicer older bike off craigslist or goodwill- support your local economy. Big chains don't need your money-
I can't stress this point enough. Hit up craigslist in your area. I found no less than five beautiful, but older bikes for $200 and less for a friend. I'm talking Specialized, Trek, GT. And a ton of serviceable bikes anywhere from $25 on up.

Don't buy a new one. Buy something with some pedigree and quality that is older.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What do you consider tight?

(smiles at Biknut)
Is that a photochop job or did you actually mount a motor and the controls with no way to drive the wheel?
Cadillac makes very sturdy bikes but that model certainly can't me motorized as is unless you remove the rear disc. Even then it won't be very sturdy with the back cupped motor mount removed and the motor resting flat against the seat tube.

But back to the topic question...
Just out of curiosity do you want a mountain bike for the style or just the front shock? because if you have dreams of off-roading an MB you best think again unless you buy a $600+ bike like a Giant, and even then you better be prepared to make some serious HD custom motor mounts.

Trek's make pretty good motorized bikes. They have a pretty solid frame and the geometry is usually well suited to mount a motor.

I picked this 800 up for $50.

About Schwinn...

In 1960s America, the bicycle that every regular American child wanted (including me) was a Schwinn. In 1993, Schwinn filed for bankruptcy. The firm had been overtaken by imported Chinese bicycles. In 2001, a company called Pacific Cycle bought the Schwinn brand out of bankruptcy. Pacific Cycle, now owned by a Canadian consumer-goods firm called Dorel Industries, says the secret of its success is “combining its powerful brand portfolio with low-cost Far East sourcing.” Schwinn bicycles now line the aisles at Wal-Mart.
( The above taken from this page A survey of outsourcing: Sink or Schwinn | The Economist )

I have built a couple Pacific beach cruisers and they are OK quality wise for $160 and up, Pacific however trashed the old Schwinn materials standards.
In short I am just adding my voice to the choir of voices you hear say stay away from any Huffy and any Schwinn made made after 2001.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
(smiles at Biknut)
Is that a photochop job or did you actually mount a motor and the controls with no way to drive the wheel?
Cadillac makes very sturdy bikes but that model certainly can't me motorized as is unless you remove the rear disc. Even then it won't be very sturdy with the back cupped motor mount removed and the motor resting flat against the seat tube.
Well I did have to remove the rear disk to install a top hat adapter for the rear drive. I didn't need the rear disk because the frame has lugs for a rear V brake. I'm not sure I follow you about the rear motor mount. It's the same as all the others. To get needed extra room in the frame I carved a little bit on the front mount which dropped the engine in the frame enough to get the carb to fit with a MM shorty manifold. This engine is one of the ones with the wider front mounts. It was a little touch and go for a while, but it worked out great in the end.

My point is that just because a motor won't fit in the frame first try, doesn't mean it won't fit. I could have also used an offset manifold, if the shorty didn't fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixWf2XMsfV8&feature=related