OCC Stingray Problems

GoldenMotor.com

OR_Chopper

Jun 2, 2010
Salem, OR
I got a new picture of my bike (see my avatar), it looks like it's rigged like crap i know (the gas tank is clamped with pipe hanging wire) but my real problems are with the motor mount i got from the guy on ebay. Also the handlebars i got from sickbikeparts.com are awesome, but a little problem with the packaging.

The motor mount was done all wrong, I'm still fixing it (drilling complete new holes on the offset mount) but the tubes that fit the motor itself (80/66 cc skyhawk grubee from kingsmotorbikes.com) are welded on at the wrong angles and the drilled holes for the bolt thru the frame are not in the right place at all... from the very front of the pre-drilled holes i have to drill a completely new whole to the right (about 3/4") and pray that the industrial bolts, nuts and washers i got from work are graded for the stress.

Anyways I couldn't run a chain with it so i'm fixing that. The other problem I had was a lot less stressful and caused literally no damage, but the box that the ape hanger bars came in from sickbikeparts.com was TOTALLY trashed. my brother, who signed for the package) called me to make sure that the bars were the only thing in the package and they were the size i wanted because he was so amazed that the bars actually stayed in the shredded card-board they call a box... horrible.

So that's my complaining for the day, other than that if anyone has any ideas how to better mount my gas tank or anything, don't hesitate to comment and tell me what i'm doing wrong or how i could improve this bike. i'm not a genius and i need help. Thanks guys who read and commented!

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
as far as you gas tank, the quickest and cheapest way is to take the original clamps that came with you kit and use them. take one them and flatten it out, then cut it in half. take the pieces and bend them in a "L" shape. now u can put them on the front bolts of your tank and run self tapping screws thru the other side of the "L" into the frame. the rear one i actually got to wrap around the frame or maybe i used my muffler strap from my kit. cant remember off hand. good luck.

Cptcaveman

Jul 22, 2010
tucson az
what i did for the ft tank mount was two 3/4" angle bracket [1 hole per side] from ace and drill small hole thru the diagail brace for the head set just low enough to miss the top tube and run a #10-#8 machine screw to bolt the brackets to the frame and bolted the ft mount bolt for the tank to them.. for the back used the strip of metal that they give you to mount the rear of the chaingaurd.. paint the pieces before you install andusflg will look nice and tank will be mounted soild... hope this helps..shawn

SAYNONOW

Aug 14, 2010
S.C.

I took the stock mounts, turned them upside and welded them to the frame. If you don't have access to a welder, you could use j-b weld. And don't let anyone knock it! Because if done properly, it will hold just as good as a weld. Sand it to bare metal with a rough grit on both mating surfaces, make sure they are clean and j-b weld away. Alot better than coat hangar and the whole one clamp thing people do. I have more pictures if you need them.

SAYNONOW

Aug 14, 2010
S.C.
Hey don't knock it! I welded a small piece of pipe there to stop the handle bars from hitting the gas tank. And since the welds aren't the smoothest, I smeared some j-b weld over it just to make it look better. Yes it looks heinous right now because i still have to sand it and paint it. Trust me, it will function and look just fine.