Head light help

GoldenMotor.com

jmr3394

Apr 5, 2010
U.S.A.
1. Would it work if i bought a 12 volt head light and just put a 6 volt bulb in it and connected it to the white wire? If so, how can i connect it to the white wire?
2. If the light doesn't come with any attaching brackets how can i make some kind of piece that holds it on the bike? Please help

Thanks,
JMR

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i used to have a little bike light the kind that go off the dyanmo generators the white wire produces enough power to light it and comes with all the stuff u need just take the cord meant to go to the dyamo and hook it up to the white wire but u will need to by a little switch otherwise trying to start it is a nightmare (seriously get the switch ull be glad u did )

u can find some realy cheap ones for 15 bucks and then some chrome nice ones 30 bucks these work pretty decently their not spotlights but they do the job

hope this helps zpt

ps saw some led bulbs dont know if those would work would be brighter

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I won't fool with incandescent bulbs anymore as they take too much of the little juice provided by the magneto. LED lights are the way to go. Someone in a recent post suggested Walmart had LED bulbs which fit into the old bulb's socket. I think I read that right. I haven't seen them, but if so, then find it in six volts and you're good to go. I use LED lights as I find them and remove the old housings in the bike light and bunch the led's together into a little bundle with vinyl tape, fit it into a cork drilled out to the rights size and get creative one way or another getting them into the old light. Each light is a little different, so you figure it out as you go. The LED lights will have pigtails, so wiring them up is no problem. Remember that they are positive/negative sensitive so if it doesn't work one way, switch the wires around. Actually now I don't fool much with old lights, but make them out of food cans and cover the cans in harness leather. Comes out as a cylinder and is old timey looking.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
where can i find these lights tho?
When I was buying LED's last year I found a company in Michigan (imagine that, made in the USA) which was selling on ebay. Well made, bright and in many different voltage and color options. I got clear in 6 volt. The other source I found was at a Target store and I found strings of little christmas lights (clear) 18 of them per strand to run off of 6 volts of batteries. Came with a little battery box and switch and cost around $7.00. This was in the summer I found them. I looked recently and they did not have them anymore. Made by Phillips. Not as bright as the other, but I found cramming all eighteen into a light made for a bright light and was barely noticed by the magneto. Do some looking around. Maybe somebody else knows of a source.. Good luck to you. A place like radio shack will charge plenty. They do for everything.
SB