Giant Stiletto

GoldenMotor.com

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
Front disc brake wheel for a Stiletto? I searched a long time for one with the heavier axle set up. Never did find. I got a sealed bearing quick release wheel that I machined new aluminium spacers that threaded onto my 7/16" fine thread axle. Had to cut and weld two hardened bolts together for that. In the end it works excelent and even has chrome acorn lug nuts. Cheaper and easier is a wheel set up for a freewheel and use a disc brake adaptor. You would have to make a short sleeve to make the smaller axle fit the forks properly though. And yes, my seat is getting wore out so I can finally put some more padding on it when I recover it. As far as freewheels holding up I have cratered only two. One was the cheap standard one from SBP. If getting a shift kit from them get the heavy duty. White industries makes a good freewheel. The other freewheel I cratered was the 7 speed mega-range. That was due to abuse. As far as shifting problems, none after the chain guide I built that feeds the rear derailer chain right onto the sprocket.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Masterm222, Thanks for the tips an info. I am going to look at some of the motorcycle shops, some of the smaller motorcycles use a 14mm axel. Maybe I can find a hub or even a wheel that will fit the front fork on the stiletto. Let ya know if I have any luck.
buzzard

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I finally got my front wheel back with a disc brake hub. I took it into a motorcycle parts shop they only sell parts no motorcycles same place I bought my bobber seat and hardware. They were more than glad to take care of it. They said it was the same type of wheel that comes off of a mini chopper, 14mm axel seal bearing 48 spokes. They had to send it out to have the hub and wheel laced. I think I'm through going to the bicycle shops, they have no interest in MBs. This shop has some really neat old board track racers in their front windows. Looks like old antique Harleys. Also bought a small peanut tank 2 gallon. It has 2 fuel outlets. I'm going to try to plumb it up to the RS motor and see if the return line from the carb will push it back up to the tank. If so I can use a tank on the engine as a reserve. I'll just have to seal the cap so it will seal the a vacuum. With the brakes installed took it out for a test drive. Flat straight asphalt went up through the gears, this thing will run. My cats eye speedometer said 46 mph and I didn't even have it on 3/4 throttle. This is a new enginge and I didn't want to push it any harder, and its way too fast for this old man. Did have some chain slap when I shift gears. But I can take care of that, I'll have to install an idler wheel before the derailer to keep the chain lined up.
Bought all I got left now is to paint and install the tank. do some pinstriping, I know this does not hae the cool look and you almost sit on top of the engine but Staton makes a damn good kit. I'll try to get somebody do some pics when its finished.
buzzard

AdmiralCurtis

Oct 18, 2009
Citrus Heights, California
As far as shifting goes, I fixed the "Chain Jump" it liked to do at high speeds.
Attached a Shimano Internal 7 speed.

The original shifter is there as an idler, the chain was about 3/4ths of a link from being just right, and I did not want the chain to been as tight as it would have been.

I can say I'm finally 100% happy with this project.

Hmm, need to clean it I guess.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

Randy J

May 3, 2019
Ok, so i just happened to stumble onto a Giant Stiletto Blue for $150 on craigslist in near perfect condition.

I bought it without hesitation. now i am trying to figure out a way to mount an engine on it. i am planing on getting the typical 66cc kit. but my question lies upon the jack-shaft.

Is it possible to connect the engine directly to the jack-shaft? this would save major modifications to the brake system. it has a rear disc mounted on the side opposite the cassette. the cassette is a 14 -34 tooth shimano mega range. i believe 34 tooth should be sufficient to tote me around town considering the area i am in is mainly flat with mild slopes and no serious hills.
here is some specs in case you are not familiar with the bike itself.
Rear Mech Shimano Altus
Shifters SRAM MRX 7 speed
Rims Double walled aluminum
Hubs Aluminum
Cassette 14-34 Shimano Mega Range

Any input on this would be great. and yes i searched the forums. only one stiletto listing in here and it's for the 50cc atv engine

I bought exact same bike I bought a 20 tooth free wheel sprocket from bike shop remover original jack shaft then took outer most gear on right side had the same threads machined on to aluminum hum and put back on bike the left side I bought a 2 tooth hum and weld on hub welded together slipped on shaft and tightened set screw mounted motor and run chain to the left side sprocket the right side runs bike the same gears and brakes work the only difference is not pedals can free wheel while engine runs bike!!

Attachments

Scaldari

Oct 22, 2021
Necropost! Apologies but if any of you all are still active you lot are probably the ones who will know this. Trying to remove the jackshaft from my stiletto and have not been able to get farther than the end screws. How in the heck does this thing come apart? Already got the staton kit, I am so close to trying a 1500W motor into this thing i can taste it...

Reactions: indian22