29'' mongoose

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Those fat 29er tires displace weight better for heavier guy's.[think snakebite] You also get superior traction over smaller tires.

Although I have never had a prob with my tires. I run the largest always 26x2.7 they do smooth a ride.

Yeah gears are hard to go back on.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
29 inchers are not super common yet, so wheel and tire options will be limited/expensive.
Just one of the cost of ownership things I would consider when making a purchase or eyeing a new "build".
Not true.

Amazon.com: Schwalbe Big Apple HS 338 Fatty Bicycle Tire (28x2.35, Allround Wire Beaded…

http://www.amazon.com/Alex-RP15F-Ri...1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1282552288&sr=8-1-fkmr1

http://www.amazon.com/Alex-DM18-700...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1282552582&sr=8-19

Last edited:

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
over and over i see "don't build walmart bikes...". well fyi, ive built 6 with no problems out of the ordinary, so what is the issue??? elitism??? by the way they do sell a 29er now at walmart and its a steal at $199 (the tires alone cost $50 online)

Last edited:

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
over and over i see "don't build walmart bikes...". well fyi, ive built 6 with no problems out of the ordinary, so what is the issue??? elitism???
As a mechanic for one of the few shops in town that will agree to work on department store "bicycle-shaped objects"-- actually, I'm the mechanic at my shop who won't turn away any kind of bike unless it will be more expensive to fix than to replace-- I think I have some relevant observations.

Understand one thing right up front about department store BSOs: The seller's interest in and commitment to the bike ends at the point of sale. Walmart doesn't care whether the bike works when you get it; they don't care how well or poorly the bike works, or for how long. They don't even care whether it has intrinsic design problems that render it fundamentally unrideable, as long as someone will buy it. That's what the bike is for. Walmart has no values about bicycles specifically. We can think that's good or bad, but it's just a fact. And it's the source of all the problems with BSOs and all their differences from bike shop bikes.

BSOs come in one size per model. Considering that bikes have to fit their rider's bodies, that's sort of like having clothing come in just one size per item: pants come in one size, shirts in one size, coveralls in a different size-- but just one each. That's a problem if you are not very close to the size the manufacturer intended. Because the folks at the store, being indifferent about bikes, don't know how to make it fit better, nor do they offer any of the parts that might help you work that out yourself.

BSOs are assembled by people who are not necessarily qualified in assembling bikes, and who are paid a very small amount per unit. This is critical to getting the cost down, but it means that the bikes usually have grave mechanical problems from the beginning. Many times I have seen bikes on the sales floor with their forks turned backwards, or with cables routed such that normal operation of the bike will cause interferences and damage. And I know from having to work on these bikes frequently that often they have less conspicuous but serious problems like derailleurs that are poised to get caught on the spokes, or brake pads that wear their way through the tire sidewalls when they're used.

And as you'd expect, every single component on a BSO is contrived to look like a normal component, but to be as cheap as possible to make-- even if that impairs their proper function. Some of these parts are thus "broken" by design, in that they can't be made to work to a normal standard at all. Suspension components are a perfect example. Not one department store bike has a suspension fork or rear shock that actually helps the bike in any way, and those parts are frequent points of failure, and they add a lot of weight, and they're not even repairable, and you can't buy replacements for them. But they're selling points for people who are ignorant of the problems, so BSOs often have these components, because BSOs are for selling.

So here are some questions for you. Would you buy a car from a department store? Would you do it if it were made to sell at a price of say one quarter of the price of a similar-looking car from a dealership, and if it were assembled by someone making four bucks for an amount of work that should take a few hours? Would you do so if the car had never been driven, and was not known to start or run or stop, and you didn't get to try it out before buying it?

The answer is probably "no" if you have any experience with other cars. But many people have never used, let alone used up, a real bike from a full-service bike dealer. So they can't recognize the comprehensive and dire problems with BSOs, because they have no standard of comparison. These people would be well advised to take experienced riders' word for it, and stay away from department store bikes.

If you have to pay bottom dollar for a bike, but you want that bike to be worth the money you pay for it (and you don't care about having a relationship with your local bike shop), here's what you do: Go online and buy a bike in your size from a place like bikesdirect. DO NOT TAKE IT OUT OF THE BOX. Take it directly to your most service-oriented local bike shop and pay them to assemble and tune it. If their assembly doesn't include comprehensive tuneup adjustments, pay extra and have them do it all: true and tension wheels, adjust bearings, set derailleur limits and cable tensions, the whole deal.

This initial service and adjustment is worth more than any other feature of the bike. Have qualified professionals do it the first time, even if you think you know how to work on a bike. However good you are, you're not as good as someone who does it every day. If you don't already know that initial setup is this important, you should just respect your limitations and take my word for it. If you have a good running bike, you can ride it enough to learn what you need to learn about it. Or you won't. But that's the trick-- the less it matters to you how well your bike works, the more you need the help of someone who does care about it and knows how to make it work right.

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
I visit some of the shops around austin from time to time. Friendly folks for the most part. A good mechanic will get more out of anything than an average Joe. My interest as the novice is to do it myself, so that it functions for fun and economy.

Now if i was going to want a bike that would set the record land speed at bonnaville I would want a builder to tune the bike, an engine master mechanic to get the most he could out of it. A personal trainer to get my fat behind down to the bare bones wieght.

But I want to build something for me, by me, to get me about 25 miles a day round trip. and have a little fun doing it. I would like the thing to be capble of 2o miles an hour on dirt/gravel roads with hills but that might not be possible.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
This has been an interesting thread with the Walmart bashing. Walmart sells several 29" bikes "on line" as well as the 29" Mongoose I bought last spring. The exact same bike this thread is about.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Pacific Cycles makes most bikes now. My Schwinn Rep, says there is no difference in quality from wholesale, to bike shops. I have a Sun 29" with a Titan 4 stroke. My oldest bike, A Schwinn Point Beach came from Wally World. It's three yrs old and nothing has ever broken. Now, I build bikes for a living. I'm a big sissy, and hate pain, so I check my bikes all the time. (c)

Pookster1126

Apr 30, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Man, I was thinking about doing the same bike. I'm broke and don't want to spend a ton of money but, I want a bike that will hold up on little trails and get me to work. I've been researching for months and I think I'm going nuts!!! So many people hate on Wal-mart bikes and so many say they like them. What to do? Guess I have a few more months of research to do before I spend the $ :-||

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
Man, I was thinking about doing the same bike. I'm broke and don't want to spend a ton of money but, I want a bike that will hold up on little trails and get me to work. I've been researching for months and I think I'm going nuts!!! So many people hate on Wal-mart bikes and so many say they like them. What to do? Guess I have a few more months of research to do before I spend the $ :-||
I have the bike and i ordered the engine tonight.

Just do it.

It's a bicycle for petes sake

Getting the Grubee Standard 80/66cc Sky Hawk Silver Bicycle Motor Kit
and the SBP Front Motor Mount Kit

Total shipping and everything from UPS was $205.35

and edit:

the engine is made in china.
so why not drive a china bike?

The engine and bicycle are only as good as the owner.

Take good care of it. inspect everything. dont over tighten bolts
dont cross thread
dont neglect it

I've never had any chinese bike fail on me
or atleast nothing i couldn't fix in a few minutes
So I have about 395$ invested sofar.

Last edited:

Pookster1126

Apr 30, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
They have it at my store down the street but, it's more than just a bike for me though. I decided to sell my truck and started biking everywhere so, it's my transportation. I am kind of ready to just get something already the bike I have now won't fit an engine.:-||

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
the down tube is 1.65''
the seat tube is 1.4''

so you need the SBP Front Motor Mount Kit for the down tube

other then that everything else will fit up.

you can also buy 700c tires and put them on the rims if you want road tires

and a disc brake on the front is A BIG +++++++++++++++++

Mines a little out of true but I squared it up and now it's running like a champ.

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
And here also if you need proof it's a champ bike..

This guy is las-vegas set his Gensis 29er up with a shift kit and expansion chamber.

Big panniers and fenders and mirrors.

He's ready for commuting!

I like the white one alot better
Looks just like the Charlotte police department cannondales

Last edited:

Pookster1126

Apr 30, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
how does it ride so far without the engine? Does it seem solid? Do the brakes work well? is there enough travel in the front shock to take a good size bump? No crazy jumps just light trail riding.

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
how does it ride so far without the engine? Does it seem solid? Do the brakes work well? is there enough travel in the front shock to take a good size bump? No crazy jumps just light trail riding.
It's an amazing bike.
for 200$ it's the best bike I've ever bought.

The brakes are totally solid
the disc brake is so solid that it will get you killed if you lock it.
(flipping the bars)

I have adjusted the disc very true.
Like so true that a .001 feeler gauge can barely fit into the gaps where the pads are.

My brake cable has ZERO play in it because i just adjusted it once i trued the disc

I will say tho. if the techs at wal-mart put it together shoddily that might give it a bad reputation but it's a great bike.

I've been riding it every day to the store and already have my 6v battery hooked up and a light set.

The front shocks have ALOT of travel and they are very nice
so if your taking a huge jump they could save your arms big time.

When i 1st sat on the bike i was under the impression of 300-400$ quality in my honest opinion

the brake levers are polymer and short reach. i love em.
the shifting is FLAWLESS. i guess the wal-mart dudes got it right the 1st time.
The groupo system is trigger and thumb operated and is very reliable I couldn't see it breaking on me.