Frame modification question

GoldenMotor.com

hepcat_13

May 19, 2010
New Orleans
I put a slant head 66cc motor on my ratrod today and it just fit. I fabed up a motor mount for the front and just used the back mount the way it was supposed to. I didn't see a need to cut the frame at all. It was possibly the most fun I've ever had. I need to mod the carb, But it definitely fit.

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
That's what I was told also. But I had this one purchased already and I almost like it in the middle. It's a little spaced out, my exhaust will fit and run with the frame perfectly, and it still kinda keeps the line with bar cut out. I would like to see a pic if you got.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
2nd pic down,,you could make a 5-6 inch thick pod for the space where the lock is and have a big stowage area for stuff

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
That's a great idea corgi. I think I wanna keep it floating though. I font wanna clutter the space. But if I can weld the mounts some how I'm gonna. Hepcat I was searching on here fo' expansion chambers and a bile came up with a dabbed tank in a gap like that. It was so sick. Just peek around. I think my search keyword was expansion exhaust though.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
MO..you could have a three way mount with a turn buckle from the top tube and hook to the intake with a bracket...if something happens you'll have a safe gaurd...good luck...Dennis

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
HEP...just checked your pic...those are some high apes...how is the steering?....you've seemed to have done a good job...with engine and frame...i've always liked that frame...is that a 36t sprocket kit...and did you have to use chain tensioner???thank you...Dennis

hepcat_13

May 19, 2010
New Orleans
I got goofy high apes but I'm tall enough that they are comfortable for me. I debated putting shorter ones on it, but screw it. I used a 36 sprocket without a tensioner, but the bike chain is pretty lose. I'm waiting for a half link. It's really flat down here so I don't need a lot of torque, just speed. An I've had my bike up around 32 and then it gets kinda scary.

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
So you guys were right. I could easily not post anything and make like my mounts worked...but they didn't. Guess everything is stable until it breaks huh? Got a buddy to help me with the welds. I think it's awesome but he said if a real welder was to look at his welds he would laugh. They're not pretty but it's definately bonded together and connected on a lot of surface area of the frame. It took longer than expected and I didn't want to waste his day so we decided to weld the next mount later. I figure I could ride it as is now that one side is stable.....wrong. Broke my other mount. So bow I gotta wait to weld the other side. Bummer. But didn't want anyone trying what I did thinking it worked. Safe riding.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
boy that was a learning process...you've done good...you went with your heart...take it easy when breaking in and let us know how things are going...thanks for sharing...Dennis

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Do you have clearance at the chain stay to shorten the chain a little and put the idler beside the tire instead of in front of the spokes