Paint not hardening??

GoldenMotor.com

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Here are some updates on my bike..
Its coming up pretty well.. Im still waiting on my new motor and rims.. Cant wait till they get here..
This is my first time paint job, and im using rattle can paint.. Any suggestions on anything would be great.. or complaints.. . It is a sunny day outside right now, so i have my bike out cooking, paint is hardening finally.. so thats a relief thanks to all that helped me with advice.
Soon to have.. sitback seat post which is in the making. =)... And also my forks will soon be black..
Suggestion - .trklooks sharp, but one thing. imho - you need to pop those headset cups out and either wipe the paint off off of them with some stripper or paint them black.

vwine

Jan 27, 2010
germany
hey, I will do, I was planning on it eventually, and also I am going to respray the orange again with another coat.. Thanks for the advice, will post more pics when motor and wheels get here. Thanks again.. VW

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
If you've got the money to spend and can get your hands on a compressor and paintgun, go to an automobile paint supply shop. $40 bucks or so will get you a quart of paint and hardner which you mix with the paint.

What's really nice about this paint is not only does it harden (just like on a car), it's resistant to gasoline. Nothing worse than giving your bike a sweet paint job only to have it messed up putting gas in the tank.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
*maybe* even cheaper if you can find smaller cans of discounted 'blooper' or mistinted paint. generally you need 3 things for automotive paint: Paint, Thinner/Reducer (for better flow) and hardener. 4:2:1 ratio. 4 parts of paint, 2 parts thinner/reducer, and 1 part hardener. the 3 parts mean 3 costs so auto paint is alot more that rattle cans :)

badxampl

Apr 27, 2010
Central New York
Unfortunately, once you start in with automotive paints, and you've made that investment in paint alone, then you start running up a bill on all the extras- Extra reducer/solvent to clean the gun, wax remover- to insure you that the $80 (if lucky) or more you've plunked down for paint doesnt fish eye or lift. Then you start second guessing the quality and type of primer, same with clear coat etc,etc,etc. Luckily I've worked for a couple of car dealerships and have managed to collect a couple of quarts of paint for cars i was working on gratis. I did have to buy primer, and overkill i went- but it was a good deal. 2 GALLONS of Crest Hi-Build with activator for 118 bucks. That primer came from the recommendation of a very good Mercedes-Benz body man. Will i ever use it all, probably not. I do have a car project also, and It is reassuring to know i can prime my house if i ever wanted to. (haha)

Last edited: