CE billet intake

GoldenMotor.com

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I know exactly what you mean...some of mine, here at the shop, have been fast...and I really start to wonder if I'm pushing it with the bike I have built.

Two local guys...Turtle Ted & Kawasaki have had bad mishaps that left them in the hospital for weeks! Turtle Ted is lucky to be alive!

It's going to be really important from here on out that newbees know that it is the "bike" that qualifies for speed...not the engine!

Spread the word!

Jim
For sure,"the bike".....They have to work together for it ALL to work safely.....I`m a dragbike racer but it seems so much different when I go fast on a bicycle.....But I`m going fast for a few seconds on my race bike, not prolonged like on a MB.....I feel safe at around 25 to 30mph.....But do like to twist the throttle when it looks/feels right...

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
my bike used to cruise at 18mph, but could wind it up to 22-23mph, but 4 stroked 90% of the time.. I'm hoping with the shorty billet intake and the Chinese angle plug head will increase the speed to about 30 mph.. but I'd like more torque also. as my bike is a mountian bike, I do ride it thru some trails...

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
my bike used to cruise at 18mph, but could wind it up to 22-23mph, but 4 stroked 90% of the time.. I'm hoping with the shorty billet intake and the Chinese angle plug head will increase the speed to about 30 mph.. but I'd like more torque also. as my bike is a mountian bike, I do ride it thru some trails...
Well if you get the fuel/air right the 4stroking should go away some and your speed/torque will pick up too....

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Well if you get the fuel/air right the 4stroking should go away some and your speed/torque will pick up too....
I know, but with the stock setup, I couldn't get it tuned in and it was deemed normal on this site.. it would 2 stroke if it had a bit of a load on it ( light incline ). but if it was just cruising, it would 4 stroke

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I know, but with the stock setup, I couldn't get it tuned in and it was deemed normal on this site.. it would 2 stroke if it had a bit of a load on it ( light incline ). but if it was just cruising, it would 4 stroke
It CAN be tuned out if you can find the right combo....Exhaust mod.`s, intake mod.`s.....I got mine to quit 4stroking with stock carb. and exh....But they were some simple mods, like drilling some holes in the filter housing, and opening up the exh. pipe too....And I did port match the int. and exh. and cleaned up the exchange. ports on my stocker.....
Now I have a billet head,and int., and waiting on a Pipelyne expansion chamber exh.....
You have no idea how many times I made a change and go make a run, come back and make another change, over and over till I got it figured out.....I HATE 4stroking......

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Well said Paul...patience is key to tuning.

Jim
Ya some people give up after a couple tries, or just get frustrated....Oh, I get frustrated but refuse to give up....You should see me trying to tune a set of FBG Lectron Carb.`s(individual flatside carb.`s) on a 4 cyl. dragbike,lol....
I have my MB motor running now so when I`m riding at 10 to 15 mph I can twist the throttle wfo and it just takes the gas and gradually gets up and hauls ass all the way to 35 or so..(till my bicycle starts to make some funny noise`s,lol).......No herky jerky chuga chuga just one smooth power curve.....xct2

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
Trying to solve a problem. Cns with plastic spacer won't tighten down properly onto billet intake. vibrates back and creates leak- lean does this on a stock intake also. I tried rtv but only helped for a little while. Suggestions?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While you could use a touch of 'Seal-All': Amazon.com: Seal-All, 3/4 oz: Home Improvement - I've found that simply scuffing up the surface of the (stock) intake works quite well, giving the nylon[?] shim something to grip on. Another (untested) method would be to make an additional shim to compensate for any excessive play - a strip of aluminum from a soda can outa work ;)

TBH I think the spacer/shim provides an excellent opportunity for additional product development, as we all know the intake port is already far larger than the manifold it's fed by and while the CNS venturi isn't huge - it's larger than the ID of the typical aluminum manifold, given the additional thickness of it's walls to maintain structural integrity.

The shim itself looks as if it's needed for that very reason, that the CNS was designed with a larger OD & ID aluminum manifold in mind - the spacer provided only to accommodate the thin-walled steel manifold. While the custom aftermarket billet aluminum manifolds provide an additional performance increase due to it's short & direct path - it's hampered somewhat by it's reduced ID, necessitated by it's material.

Given the CNS is now a stock item included with the new Grubee engines - I think it's time someone developed a manifold to take advantage of it's greater capacity & ridding ourselves of the gdang spacer entirely, it should be possible to have an aluminum manifold with at least the same ID as the steel ones given the extra space provided :D

Last edited:

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
I concure with your every thought. Didn't try "seal all" but did try rtv, 3m weatherstrip adhesive and plastic emblem adhesive. I thought of the pop can idea and have an empty can of Pepsi waiting. ruffing up the surface is a good idea. Never thought about that. I have been making my own offset intakes when needed. Now it is time to find the right size pipe to fit the CNS. Never know, Jim may start making his billet intakes to fit the CNS. But first he has to finish my heads! Would be nice to have that option. Thanks for the input!

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
I hope Turtle Ted and Kawasaki are okay. I know 35 is almost to fast for my Shwinn Jag. My two "choppers are well built bikes and handle like a dream above 40 but I still have to watch out for the other guys on the road that see a bicycle coming and think I am only going 20. I just spent $200 on disc brake upgrades for the "Grape Ape" and am thinking about bigger rotors yet.

Arnie

Dec 25, 2010
Wrightstown,New Jersey
every once in a while my bike shuts off, have to let it set for a minute and then starts right back up. my for stroking is off and on, sometimes it does it and sometimes it run great. need help.:-||

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
Been a while since I posted anything on this thread. My Jag was stolen just before Xmas, The "Grape ape" sold a month ago. The buyer just couldn't pass up the Creative engineering billet cyl head, billet intake/CNS carb with boost bottle and SBP expansion chamber exhaust. Maybe it was the jackshaft running to a mega-range freewheel or the front and rear disc brakes! OCC Sting-ray XL in the works..shft.
It would help alot in diagnosing the problem with your bike if we all knew what carb you are running and if you have done any modifications to your exhaust.