Will this bike work?

GoldenMotor.com

wakerboardersml

Jan 29, 2010
virginia
I was thinking about buying a 2 stroke conversion kit but i was not sure if it would work on this bike I wanted to put it on. It is a Maxium sport with the skiny road tires. Does any one know if this bike will work? I will attach a picture.The 2 bikes in the picture are the same.

Attachments

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
that looks like a really nice bike for one of the lil 2-smokers and I think you'd be really happy with the results. Straight handle bars would work better I think. My 2-smoke is on a 700c touring bike with a 36 tooth sprocket and I really like it.

wakerboardersml

Jan 29, 2010
virginia
could i take off the handle bars and put straight ones one? Also do u know where to buy a 2 stroke kit from? seen many sites but not shre where to buy from?
Thanks

the paper boy

Jan 8, 2010
CA. Placentia
from what i can see in the picture I guess you could try putting on straight handle bars but you might want to see if you can change the goose neck because it will be more comfortable for you thats what I think and I also want to tell you about - Bicycle Engine Kit - Gas Powered Bicycle - Bike Motor Kit - Bicycle Engines - Grubee - Bikeberry - BikeBerry.com because I bought a two stroke motor for only $119.95 plus shipping and handling but I did not have to pay for shipping because on the website when you pick out the motor you want and then go to pay they have an option and that option is for them to ship it to their closest wear house near you and all thats left to do is to wait for them to email you saying that its ready to be picked up and then go pick it up

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Yes it will fit and work on that bike.
Also if you're looking to buy a engine kit, some the the sites are offering the kits with free shippping, you can save up to $40 on shipping.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you might have to do something about the water bottle cage mounting attachments. if they unscrew, it'll fit fine, if not, you'll probably have to grind them off.

also, if they unscrew and leave holes in your frame, it might weaken it. that area absorbs a lot of stress from the motor. but then again, the old mounting method for oversize tubing was to drill through it anyway, so it might work. i just don't like extra holes in my bikes.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The road bike should work well if you replace the drop handlebars and don't hotrod your engine. Roadbike wheels are not as strong as the mountain bike wheels.

wakerboardersml

Jan 29, 2010
virginia
where can i get straight handle bars for this kind of bike ? and will the peddles really hit the engine? if i couldnt find straight handle bars i was thinking i could make some out of old copper or silver pipe and sodder it toghter then paint it or wrap in grip tape wonder if this would work ? Thanks for any help.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Get a pair of straight or curled handlebars whatever you prefer for comfort.Looks like the stem on that setup can be turned around,if not I'd buy a new stem as well.Other than handlebars and those road rims you probably got a win win situation on mounting the motor nice and easy..

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I agree with the wider cranks. I had to do the same thing on my speed bike. It is possible to mount the engine high but its easier to get a new spindle. The only problem with the speed bike is that they are built for lightness and could possible brake. I had no problems with the frame but I bent two rims before I used another bike. If your going to use skinny tires I suggest you take it very easy.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Bar's, cranks and that kind of stuff can be taken care of by your local bike shop.
It doesn't really matter what particular kind of bike you get, almost all of them require some modification(s) at some point or another.
Good luck with what ever bike you choose to use.

wakerboardersml

Jan 29, 2010
virginia
where can i find cheap used bikes for sale ? Like do junkyards have those or salvation army , thrif store or pawn shop whould these places have cheap bikes for sale?

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
from what i can see in the picture I guess you could try putting on straight handle bars but you might want to see if you can change the goose neck because it will be more comfortable for you thats what I think and I also want to tell you about - Bicycle Engine Kit - Gas Powered Bicycle - Bike Motor Kit - Bicycle Engines - Grubee - Bikeberry - BikeBerry.com because I bought a two stroke motor for only $119.95 plus shipping and handling but I did not have to pay for shipping because on the website when you pick out the motor you want and then go to pay they have an option and that option is for them to ship it to their closest wear house near you and all thats left to do is to wait for them to email you saying that its ready to be picked up and then go pick it up
Don't go to bikebery they don't stick by their motors

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
About the cranks, if you can find wider ones that will work but another option is to get a wider bottom bracket which will place your original cranks further apart.

The only other thing to worry about is how you will mount the rear sprocket for the engine. If you attach it to the spokes like what comes in the kit you have to make sure the flange on the hub isn't to large of a diameter (the part where the spokes attach to the rear hub). I would recomend trying to find another way to attach the sprocket than using the spokes (especially on a road bike since the wheels are not as strong, as mentioned above).

But in the end it looks like you can use that bike it just might take a little ingenuity on your part.

80ccspeedster

Jul 28, 2008
It will work. My first build was a blue trek 370 series road bike. With of tinkering, that mb was fast. And like venice said, the cranks will be your biggest problem.