Just Got Off The Phone With Wisconsin DMV

GoldenMotor.com

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
The lady on the phone said that motor bicycles are exempt from registration. She gave me the number 341.05(23).

A cop told me yesterday he could write me a ticket for not having my bike registered. I figured this guy gets paid to enforce the law so he would know what he's talking about.

Here's what I found doing a google search of the number the lady gave me

341.05 When vehicles exempt from registration. A vehicle, even though operated upon a highway of this state, is exempt from registration if any of the following applies:341.05(23) The vehicle is a motor bicycle or bicycle, except as provided in s. 349.18.
I'm gonna print this out and make sure to carry it on me when I ride. I tried to register the bike at the DMV but the lady didn't know what to tell me so she gave me a number of the DMV in Madison, I called them and after about 20 minutes on the phone the lady told me it was exempt.

The lady on the phone also gave me the number 340.01(30) I found this on a google search http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/AB-197.pdf

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
I don't hate cops.. I just like like it better when they're not around! Smart move!
I printed out the webpage I got that from and folded it up and put it under my bike seat holding it in place with a mini tie down wrapped around a few times and hooked to my seat. I don't want to get stopped by any cops but if I do get stopped I hope it was the one lying to me yesterday. The guy was talking like he knew the law when he was just making **** up and guessing.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I don't hate cops.. I just like like it better when they're not around! Smart move!
TS, that is one of my favorite quotes of all time! In Charles Bukowski's book (The title it self is not fit for mixed company, snork) Before that and also in the movie "Barfly" he says; "It's not that I hate people, I just know I feel better when they are not around" Clasic

Sorry about the OT Perk. Glad you got it s8 from the source. I spent 6 hrs at my DMV. Or a month, one day. Then turned out the local cops here think MBs are funny, easily ignored or perfectly legal. (They are) But I memorized the statute number just in case (CT COGS 14-286) It has yet to come up.

You should post in the laws section for your neighbors. Would help lots of folks. Laws and Legislation - Motorized Bicycle Tavern at Motorized Bicycle Forum

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
You better look up the exception and see what it is before you throw a party. [ The vehicle is a motor bicycle or bicycle, except as provided in s. 349.18.]

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
PERKOFF,I cant find the laws here in texas....Will you give me a hand and do a search and see what you can come up with for me?Or a website I can go to for texas....
Thanks
John-John

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
PERKOFF,I cant find the laws here in texas....Will you give me a hand and do a search and see what you can come up with for me?Or a website I can go to for texas....
Thanks
John-John
I found this site Texas Legislature Online But a bunch of stuff came up when I typed in bicycle. I found this on another forum

Motorized Bicycles in Texas can be defined as "motor assisted scooters" and not "mopeds". When you take this translation of Texas State Code 551.301, you see that motorized bikes are legal up to 40cc and able to operate on roads w/ speed limits posted at 35 mph. I guess this means you can drive at 35 mph on smaller side streets, but not big highways?

"Motor assisted scooter":
(A) means a self-propelled device with:
(i) at least two wheels in contact with the ground during operation;
(ii) a braking system capable of stopping the device under typical operating conditions;
(iii) a gas or electric motor not exceeding 40 cubic centimeters;
(iv) a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit while operating the device; and
(v) the ability to be propelled by human power alone

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I found this site Texas Legislature Online But a bunch of stuff came up when I typed in bicycle. I found this on another forum
Thanks for the help PERKOFF,I am going to print this out and if I get pulled over in ft.worth I will pull it out and show it to the lawman....I guess it does mean I cant drive on roads over 35,but im sure if im cool with the cops they will over look it and let me slide....Thanks again....
John-Johnauflg

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
Thanks for the help PERKOFF,I am going to print this out and if I get pulled over in ft.worth I will pull it out and show it to the lawman....I guess it does mean I cant drive on roads over 35,but im sure if im cool with the cops they will over look it and let me slide....Thanks again....
John-Johnauflg
The neighbor I got into it with yesterday called the cops on me twice today. I wasn't around the first time but was here the second time. I showed the cop the piece of paper I printed out and he told me he was going to let my neighbor know to leave them alone.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
In the 2009- 2010 ammendment I only see a reference to a bicycle with a 750 watt or smaller electric motor. Where's the gas? Or was this made to include electric MB's into the existing law?

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
In the 2009- 2010 ammendment I only see a reference to a bicycle with a 750 watt or smaller electric motor. Where's the gas? Or was this made to include electric MB's into the existing law?

If you're reading this page http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/AB-197.pdf I think you need to scroll down.

It's on the second page of that PDF.

I didn't even show the cop that page I printed out THIS and showed it to the cop and he was on his way. After he saw that I offered to take him in the house and show him the other web page since I couldn't figure out a way to print a PDF file.

I think all you'll need to do is print out that page and carry it with you just in case.